Trevor and I went to see the play Scrooge. It's put on by a local church, which has been doing it for 10+ years. It's held in the performing arts center downtown, four shows during the first weekend of December. The facility seats over 2,000 and was filled to capacity on the night we were there.
It was incredible. We've been to the church a few times, and I can't believe a church this size could put on an incredible production like this. The stage sets took my breath away; the acting, singing, and choreography were professional quality. Even when the sound glitched for 30 seconds, the actors continued like nothing was wrong.
I was thinking, oh, it's just a nice little church play, it will be over in an hour. It went for two hours! I rushed home and made homemade tomato soup--nothing at all, thankfully, like any yuck from a can. I've made it before, but I don't know if anyone else ate it. Trevor and Robert both thought it was wonderful (but of course by that time, they were starving).
TOMATO BASIL PARMESAN SOUP
1 c. finely diced carrots
1 c. finely diced onion
1 c. finely diced celery
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper 1 tsp. dried or 1 T. fresh oregano
1 T. dried or 1/4 c. fresh basil
2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes, undrained
4 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. parmesan cheese
12 oz. can evaporated milk (I use non-fat--can also sub in 1/2 and 1/2)
Heat about 1 T. of oil in large pot to medium high. When hot, add in carrots, onion, and celery, and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned. Salt and pepper to taste. Add in crushed oregano and basil, tomatoes, and half of chicken broth. If you'd like your vegetables smaller, take out a cup or two at a time, process in food processor, and return to pot. (Be careful you don't burn yourself!) Heat to boil, reduce heat and simmer.
Prepare roux by melting butter and then whisking in flour. Continue to cook to let roux brown a bit. Add in remaining chicken broth, slowly adding in 1/4 to 1/2 c. each time, whisking well before adding more broth. Slowly whisk this sauce into the rest of the soup.
Stir in the parmesan cheese and the evaporated milk. Heat very gently on low until warmed through (you don't want to curdle the milk).
Original recipe, including crockpot directions, here.


2 comments:
I made this exact recipe a few months ago! I don't remember where I got it! Funny. :)
It was all over Facebook, I think because of the ease of the crockpot. Michele made it, and I'm not sure if I made it at the exact same time, or if she made it and so then I did too. :) Easy and delicious, and I'm not a tomato fan, nor a fan of tomato soup.
Post a Comment