Tuesday, September 01, 2009

FIRST day of school!

The kids were downstairs and ready to eat breakfast on time, and we were off to a fabulous start! The biggest shocker of the day--LOOK who's actually sitting first! If the rest of our year could go like this, well, WOW!!!!!!!

That's jelly on the toast, it's not burned.

We usually start out our year slowly, over the course of a few weeks, gradually adding in subjects until we get into a full schedule. We're not taking as long this year, but we'll settle in over the next week and a half.

Trevor is using most of the same curriculum that he did last year. We're either picking up where we left off, or beginning a new book. But every single subject for Holly this year is a new program for her; I'll post on what we're using later this week.

Trevor reviews his memorization.

Holly mentioned that we'd celebrated last year by going to Dairy Queen and asked if we could go again. They were surprised that I agreed, and we headed to DQ when everything was done. Oh-so conveniently, we found out they have a 1/2 off Happy Hour from 2-4 pm each day. One medium chocolate shake, one large Moo-Latte, and one medium Moo-Latte, for a total of $6.11. We'll definitely be doing this again soon.

Why do 11 year old boys smile so hard?

Trevor took Holly's challenge to ride the pig.


Robert made his famous chile rellanos for dinner.

The end result, since I forgot to take a picture before we ate.

Holly and I went for a walk.


Trevor and I watched for bats, although we were unsuccessful tonight.



It was a great start to our school year. If we can only have 179 more days just like it, we'll be all set!

6 comments:

berrypatch said...

Yeah! Glad your first day went well! ;-)

Anonymous said...

It looked like chocolate cake to me.....the toast, that is.

Debbie said...

Looks like a great start to your school year! I especially love the DQ part.

We had a terrible year for bats...apparently, some type of fungus infected the bats and over the winter, they came out and 3/4 of all the bats died in the northeast. We have seen very, very few. You might google it and see if it affected your area.

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Sounds like a great first day. Fun Mom to do Dairy Queen after!

Cynthia said...

Looks like a GREAT DAY! I wonder if any of our DQ's (there are at least 5 that I can think of off the top of my head) offer a Happy Hour!

Cynthia said...

Oh..and I'm glad you mentioned the jelly on the toast because I did think it was burned.