Saturday, September 15, 2007

Recap

It rained all day yesterday but it did not deter Robert from bbqing last night. (Okay, the truth is that he really didn't want to, but I asked since I had no other brilliant ideas for dinner.)


It was sunny and bright this morning, beautiful blue sky as the mist burned off.


I was itching to get out and do something, you know, like a family is supposed to. Holly begged to stay home by herself; Robert said he had things to do here. But I was set on that happy family thing, so I forced everyone to get in the car to start our wonderful day of togetherness.

To get off on the right foot, I drove a new way to town. It's a shortcut. (Robert seems to think these are my famous last words, but I DO have a great sense of direction.) It's the way Holly and I drove back in May that I said I would never drive again. Back then, I called it a "twisty, horrid little country road." Apparently, I'm used to them now, because it didn't faze me this time. But Robert was pretty adamant: "We will never drive this way again." LOL.

We checked out the Home Expo, which consisted of 14 hot tub booths, 6 windows booths, and a "discount blinds" booth. When I asked about a covering for my bathroom window, I was quoted, "including tax and installation, about $400." I about fell over. Discount? I can buy something nice at Lowe's for 1/10th of that. We breezed through the whole thing in 15 minutes.

I had an ulterior motive for going to town. I really wanted to check out the Greek Festival.


It was pretty crowded but we parked only 1/2 a block away. There was free admission and lots of food. We feigned interest in the "Agora" (Greek market).

Actually this pottery was quite spectacular but quite out of our price range.

Pretense over, we beelined for the food: gyros, lemonade, baklava.

And you know what Trev thinks of the camera.
But he liked his gyro.


We headed to a new Walmart. I stocked up on avocados, since they were $.20 less than what I pay at my Walmart. (Why does saving a mere $.60 make me so happy??) I was thrilled to find the Annie's Shells and White Cheddar that the kids have been wanting too.

As we headed for home, we stopped at Barnes & Noble and found this terrific book.

It was exactly what I'd been looking for. We had the Colorado book last year to go with our Flying Creatures science. I like how the birds are organized by color. Each bird lists similar looking birds so you can be sure you have identified the right one. It's a small book, with a perfect amount of information, and not very expensive. We started looking at it as soon as we got in the car, easily identifying birds that we've already noticed regularly.

In all, a very nice day, a very nice day of family togetherness.

:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you had a good day out with the family.

I love that greek pottery. I got one small piece in Athens on my honeymoon. {g}

Dorothy

Church Punk said...

Love your vaccuum!

I also love Greek festivals.LOL My dh's grandparents used to live in Tarpon Springs, Fl and it has a huge greek population. It was always fun to visit.

Church Punk said...

It's me, Lisa. I think I've now commented on everyone's blog as my dd.LOL Oh well. I'm not going back.lol

Cynthia said...

Sounds like a GREAT day. I'm glad you were able to convince everyone to go along with the plan.

I'll have to check out that book. I think it would be easier to use than the one we have.

Jodi said...

It does sound like a good day, sometimes it's worthwhile to force everyone out of the house. LOL to Trevor's continued ban of the camera.