Sunday, September 16, 2007

Book Review - Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke

Several ladies on my hs list have mentioned this series, and I don't know why I didn't pick this book up earlier. While I don't like "mysteries," I knew that this was written more like light fiction with a murder thrown in. It was a little surprising to see such a blatant parallel between this Joanne Fluke series and the very popular Goldy Bear series by Diane Mott Davidson. I've been a long time fan of Davidson's; it's hard for me to not compare these two authors.

Like Goldy Bear, Hannah Swensen seems to stumble upon dead bodies in the course of her every day job--Goldy is a caterer; Hannah owns a cookie store. Both books feature several recipes; Goldy's are varied; Hannah's focus on cookies/sweets. Both main characters are slightly neurotic, their personal lives are in a bit of a shambles, and they often second guess themselves. Both have police officers in their lives, whom they try to help as they "solve" the crimes: Goldy's boyfriend, and Hannah's brother in law.

Hannah's character is not nearly as developed as Goldy's character. I have a definite personal soft spot for Goldy, and no wonder, with 14 books in 14 years--and I've read the first 13, on hold at the library for the 14th. It's obvious that I prefer the Davidson series.

BUT I'll continue to read this series too. The stories are less involved, quick to read, and I don't have to concentrate too hard to remember who's who or what part they have in the story. I don't read as much fiction as I used to, and this will provide a nice break. Sure, I'd recommend it overall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check out the Goldy Bear series. I love cozy mysteries.

Jen said...

I will have to check out the other series. I am enjoying the Hannah Swensen books, so I should like the other books too.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the comparison. I like them because, as you mentioned, they are a very quick and easy read! I'll have to try the series you mention sometime.