Sunday, September 30, 2007

Book Review - Sweet Revenge by Diane Mott Davidson

I've read this series from almost the beginning. Author Diane Mott Davidson lives in Evergreen, Colorado, upon which the fictional Aspen Meadow is based. I remember when she would have book signings at both the Tattered Cover and small independent bookstores in Denver. I can imagine that those signings are a lot busier now!

This is the 14th book in the Goldy series. I've always enjoyed these books immensely; not too much mystery, an appealing character, recipes thrown into the mix. Goldy is a caterer and inevitably stumbles across dead bodies in her line of work. She then will work to uncover the killer, and along the way, more people always end up dead. (Okay, it's much lighter than it sounds.)

But it's time for Goldy to retire. While most of the storylines (and dead bodies galore) are always a little far-fetched, this book brings back a character who supposedly died in the last book. Goldy's detective husband repeatedly shares confidential information with her time and time again, to which extent has not occurred in earlier books. Goldy's son's character, always quirky and likable in the past, is incredibly boring here, and his presence only used to explain the location of one minor incident in the book. (I thought I could see it coming and expected something far grander.) Assistant Julian shows up, leaving his own life in Boulder, with no explanations, no background provided, and his character also remains one-sided in the story. Marla's turned into an obnoxious gossip, motivated only to find out bits of private info from town residents. Over the past two books, characters have become seamier--yuck. Goldy recaps the case in her head, time and time again in the book, as if the author is either trying to take up page space or remind us of what we may have forgotten.

Apart from the story, the recipes are listed only in the back of the book. I prefer them to be scattered throughout the story, as in the past, so I can see what Goldy's making as it's mentioned. Within the book text, there's no way to tell what recipes are included, unless you check. BUT I will be trying a few of them. Several recipes from past books have remained favorites in our family.

If this had been the first Goldy book I'd read, it would have been the last. Not a good showing for a series that I said I preferred over Hannah Swensen . . .

I'd recommend it if you have read all earlier books AND have nothing else interesting or pressing to read . . .

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I like her past work but think I'll skip this one! Thanks for reviewing.

Debbie said...

Kristine, I've been finding this with several series that I have enjoyed in the past. It is disappionting. I have not read this one yet and will probably give it a try.

Cynthia said...

So.. you think I should try this series? One series at a time (LOL) or I'll get ahead of myself. Now I'm starting in on the one that Emily's been reading.... Redemption.

Kristine said...

Yep, Cindy, start the series!