Sunday, September 30, 2007

Book Review - The Riddle of Amish Culture by Donald Kraybill

This book caught my attention on Jen's blog, and I was pleased to find that my library carried it. Like many people, I find the Amish a bit fascinating, yet I don't know much about why they believe and practice what they do.

The author details the history of the Amish, from their German roots to their church divisions. Using mainly the Lancaster settlement as an example, he describes cultural issues such as family structure and dress, religious life and church organization, education and employment. As the Amish continue to strive to be independent, separate from the world, they also make compromises with regards to technology; bargain with the government to be exempt from social security, employment laws, and educational standards; and conform to regulations regarding dairy production and occupational safety. Also discussed are the adaptations the Amish have made as their population grows yet farm lands become cost prohibitive.

The book also covers what the future holds, and how the Amish will navigate through inevitable changes in the rest of society yet maintain their own Amish identity.

While a bit more textbookish than my normal non-fiction reading, it was not difficult to read through at all. In fact, it was the opposite; I would pick it up, read a few paragraphs, and easily pick it up later to continue reading where I left off. If you find the Amish interesting to read about, I'd recommend reading this. (Thanks, Jen!!)

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Sounds great. Wish I had known about it last year when we were studying the Amish. I'll write it down for next time around.

Jen said...

Have you seen that Beverly Lewis just came out with a new book? The Parting. Timely enough, it deals with the split of 1966,which is described in that book. I love when I have literary coincidences like that!

Kristine said...

I'm waiting for my library to get the Beverly Lewis book! I didn't know the story line at all, it makes me look even more forward to reading it!