Sunday, January 21, 2007

Book Review - The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution by Fredrick Hahn

The complete title of this book is The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution: The Slow Motion Exercise That Will Change Your Body in 30 Minutes a Week. It's very similar to Power of 10: The Once-A-Week Slow Motion Fitness Revolution by Adam Zickerman. The premise of both books is that you can build strength and muscle more easily by doing slow motion exercises that don't take much time--30 mins. a week.

Sound unbelievable? It worked for me, and quickly. I've been following Power of 10 for 2.5 years. I noticed a huge difference within three weeks. The ideas might not work for everyone, obviously, but here's a few reasons why it made a big difference for me.

--Prior to exercising this way, I didn't exercise at all.
--My eating habits were horrible, eating virtually nothing until mid-afternoon, when, starving, I'd gobble a bunch of candy.
--While I'm no longer stick-skinny, neither am I overweight.

What about aerobics? Aerobic exercise doesn't improve your heart or lungs. It strengthens your muscles. "Stronger muscles working more efficiently to draw oxygen from the blood reduce the demand on the heart and lungs, which gives the impression of improved cardiovascular or cardiopulmonary fitness." "You don't need to strengthen your heart and lungs; in fact, you can't." A chapter of the book is dedicated to explaining this in more detail.

I prefer the Power of 10 book. In addition to slow motion exercise, it goes into much more detail about diet and the effect of eating protein and healthy carbs. Both books include several exercises that can be done inside your house without any weights, but overall, I prefer Power of 10's exercises.

Within a few weeks of beginning Power of 10, the differences were drastic. I could go on walks with my kids and not be out of breath. I needed less sleep, no longer woke up with a headache or felt drowsy in the afternoons. I didn't worry that I'd lose my balance on the stairs. My body looks better, a lot better. And I lost about 8 lbs., which wasn't even a goal. I exercise once a week, and it takes less than 30 minutes. I found the program easy to stick to.

On its own, I wouldn't recommend The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution, but it's a great complement to Power of 10.

No comments: