A nice and relaxing day. I opted to fix a celebratory dinner, Dr. Pepper and Chipotle Pepper Pork Roast (ha!), giant baked potatoes, strawberry/blueberry salad, corn on the cob. We ate on the deck, but quickly, because mosquitoes were out in full force!
We went to nearby historic Fincastle to watch fireworks. I really like that little town, just five miles up the road. We pulled up at 8:30 and parked just a block and a half away. Gotta love that!
Founded in 1772, the town served as the seat of a governmental district that stretched as far west as the Mississippi River. Its courthouse was designed by Thomas Jefferson and still stands today. When Lewis and Clark set out to explore the Louisiana Purchase, they departed from Fincastle. This truly was--and is--one amazing little town.
Many of the houses are literally steps from the street. As the Confederate flag was big in the news last week, I felt it particularly appropriate to post this house that was decorated so patriotically.
We set up our chairs and waited and chatted. Trev read. We reminisced about past Fourth of Julys, and Robert and I got a bit nostalgic watching younger parents with their little bitty kids. Gosh, that seems like just a couple of years ago when we were those families.
Fireworks began as soon as it got dark.
It was a really good show, especially for a small town. On the way home, we stopped at the grocery store for milk and went home to eat the chocolate cake I'd made earlier.




1 comment:
Sounds like a lovely day.
Post a Comment