Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Long lunch in Richmond

Our old friends Will and Mancy are visiting in Virginia this week, as their daughter graduates from college at William & Mary.  I worked for Mancy for three years at the D.A.'s office. At the same time, I met Robert, whose parents lived across the street from Mancy and Will.

Mancy and I have been planning since the fall to meet up again when we had the chance.  I so appreciate that she made time in their crazy schedule to spend half a day with us--and she said several times how much she appreciated us working with their to accommodate their timing (which changed at the last couple of hours) and to make a pretty long drive.  (I kept telling her that we are used to driving everywhere!)

On the way to Richmond, I mentioned to Robert that I have *always* wanted to stop at this overlook on Afton Mountain and get a picture.  He stopped for me!


We met up with them at Mimi's Cafe at 3:00.  Mancy and I met here back in September, so it was familiar, a safe bet.  So, so good to see them again.  Will was in a terrible car accident several years ago, in a coma for several weeks, and almost didn't make it. He has some lingering effects but seemed like the same old Will to us.  :)


This one was low res; if I remember, I'll have to ask her to resend a better photo.


Our 3:00 "lunch" lasted until after 7 p.m.  Mancy was so worried, as she knows I don't like to drive on the interstate in the dark. But Robert drove, and I kept telling her it would have been worth it anyway to get to see them. 


Gorgeous drive home.



I so appreciate them truly wanting to see us that they set aside this time in between helping their daughter study for her last final, getting her moved out entirely, preparing to host a graduation party at a local restaurant when the rest of their family arrived, and attending two graduation ceremonies.  We received a sweet text afterward, "Will loved seeing Robert. We had forgotten why we liked him so much before!!! He's hysterical!!!"  Yep--all four of us had a great time.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Aw... sounds so wonderful!

Laura said...

What a wonderful day. A blessing. :)