Thursday, May 15, 2014

Holly's home!!!!!

Drove up yesterday to pick up that girl and bring her home for the summer.  She had everything ready when I got there, and we made several trips (with the help of her roommate) and loaded up my car.

The parking lot was an absolute zoo during move out.  There are three 30 minute spots, and people had made their own spaces, parked curbside, parked in handicapped spots and eventually just began parking in the center of the lot. At some point, I received a parking ticket and was absolutely STUNNED to see a $375 fine.  In talking with the other parents nearby, it appeared that I was the only one in the lot ticketed.  I was sick to my stomach, in absolute disbelief.  I may have been the only one without someone waiting at the car. The building inside was busy, you couldn't get on the elevator to bring stuff down--at least from Holly's second floor room, so at least it was easy to take the stairs with almost everything.

One parent spread the word that the parking "officer" had told her that people could park *in front of* the handicapped parking spots but "could not block them."  Effectively, you could block them but wouldn't be guilty of blocking them. Sooooo stupid!



We finished cleaning the room and packing up the car, and then I made a trip to the campus police department (a real, certified police department). I got appropriate sympathy from the sweet receptionist who advised me that, although the PD was not connected with the parking service, she'd ask the desk sergeant to come talk to me.  He offered suggestions on how to appeal my ticket. They were so nice and helpful.  I was in the police station long enough that Holly, who was waiting in the car, wondered if I'd completely flipped out inside and been arrested.  (I can just see that too, right?!)  So, so wrong to pick and choose a car (or even two or three) to ticket, when everyone was parked illegally.  Everyone.

Holly was great, keeping me focused, and taking two dozen photos of the parking lot over the next couple of hours.


We had quite a bit of time before check out/walk through time, so we went over to the Johnson Center to grab some lunch. At that point, I was giddy to find that the parking garage on that side of campus was free to park (I think it's usually $3 an hour).  The meal plan was ending in 15 minutes, and food was running short.  The Indian place was out of my favorite, but I tried something new and liked it even more.  Holly bought sushi to take home for Trevor.  It was amusing to see kids check out with armfuls of tiny potato chip bags (since you can buy 2 dozen for $6 down the street). One girl had 7 small bottles of milk.  LOL. 

We walked around campus a bit, taking our usual tour past what will be her new building in the fall and then headed back to her room for the last time.

Waiting for the RA to come by for final inspection

What an incredible year.  So much has changed in the last nine months.  I am so, so proud of her, making such a seamless adjustment to a very different way of life and doing so well academically. So amazing; God is so good, all the time.

♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥

3 comments:

Linda said...

Yay! So glad you get to have her home for a while!

Laura said...

Congratulations to Holly on the completion of her freshman year! Wow. All those cliches are just clogging my brain right now. But, it IS true… the years fly by.

Kathleen said...

Yes! God is so good ALL THE TIME!
Congratulations to Holly on a job well done!

Kiana also received a full-tuition honors scholarship to the same university her big sister is attending. Michaela received an additional $8,500. in private scholarships this summer that she applied for. I am speechless at how God is so good ALL THE TIME!