Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter: Lunch out

I really, really, really did my research for today, literally spending several hours reading different review, not only about the Memorials and parking, but also where to eat afterwards.  I found a large Vietnamese shopping center, Eden Center, with several dozen stores and restaurants.  It was perfectly located between DC and GMU.

Amusingly, almost every single review I read commented that the parking lot gave a true picture of Asian drivers.  I knew which corner to head to park, and incredibly, we got in without a problem. 



While some of the shopping is inside, most stores are strip mall style, with a narrow sidewalk.  The places were packed.  We found the restaurant and had to wait 5 minutes or so to be seated; every single table was full, even at 2:00 p.m.  We were the only white people in the building, but our waiter was extremely gracious and spoke English well.  I never would have actually requested a fork, but we were thoughtfully (thankfully!) provided them.

Robert and I had scoped out the menu prior, knowing ahead of time we'd have Vietnamese Noodle Bowl with pork and eggroll--an old favorite for us.  Holly chose the Orange Beef, and Trevor the Beef Curry. Both loved their food, although Holly's was a bit sweet for her tastes.


We'd gladly go back in a heartbeat; in fact, Robert told Holly she'd be seeing a lot more of him next year just because he wants to go eat there again.  LOL. 

We stopped next store to try "boba tea," or bubble tea, which Holly and Trevor had when they were in Seattle two years ago.  It was delicious, the bubbles made of dark blue tapioca against Holly's and my coconut drink, and Trevor's lychee one.  Robert somehow glimpsed a cake roll through a window and was happy to bring one home. He wandered through a grocery store with ducks hanging above the meat counter.

Loved it.  We all had a great time.  I was happy that all of my research "paid off," that everyone was happy.  I put too much pressure on myself that everything be perfect if I'm the planner, and of course there are too many variables beyond my control.  Today just fell into place.



1 comment:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

This sounds like a fun outing. I need to get online and see what I can find near here. The drive by and stop method isn't paying off well.