Saturday, September 01, 2012

Recipe - Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken and Bok Choy Salad



This chicken immediately became a favorite of Holly and Trevor's.  It does not need to cook all day, and in fact will take on a mealy texture when it overcooks.  I found cooking at four hours was sufficient, no longer.

Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken


12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds) (I've been boning and skinning my own)
1/3 c. sugar
3/4 c. soy sauce
6 T. vinegar
3/4 t. ground ginger
3/4 t. minced garlic
1/4 t. pepper
1-1/2 T. cornstarch
1-1/2 T. cold water
Hot cooked long grain rice

Place chicken in slow cooker.  In a large bowl, combine the sugar, soy sauce, cider vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper.  Pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is tender.  Remove chicken to a serving platter; break chicken up into smaller pieces while moving to platter, and then keep warm.  Place liquid in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Combine cornstarch and water until smooth.  Gradually stir into liquid and stir until sauce is thickened.  Serve chicken with rice.


*     *     *

Trevor's been seeing bok choy around, and I happened upon this recipe.  The bok choy was good, very similar to romaine lettuce, perhaps a little heartier but still mild tasting.  It's the first time we've ever eaten it, a good introduction.

Bok Choy Salad

1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil (who uses this, I just sub regular canola)
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. soy sauce
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1/4 c. sliced almonds
1/4 c. sesame seeds
2 (3-oz.) packages of ramen noodles, crushed (I crush while in the packaging)
1 med. head of bok choy, chopped
3 green onions

Whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, soy sauce for dressing; set aside. 

Melt butter on medium heat in small skillet.  Add crushed ramen noodles. Saute until golden brown; drain on paper towels.

Mix bok choy, green onions, and nuts in a large bowl.  Just before serving, add dressing, sprinkle with the noodle mixture, toss well, and serve cold.

(Original recipe called for twice as much sugar. The recipe calls for the nuts to cook with the noodles in the butter, but I didn't find that necessary.  The first time, I didn't have sesame seeds and instead doubled my almonds.  Another time, I used a mix of almonds, sunflower seeds, and sesame.)

 

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm adding this to my October meal plan. Looks yummy!