We moved to Virginia five years ago. We moved from Callaway two years ago. Even though I go out to Franklin County three times a week, I haven't been past the town of Rocky Mount or by our old house in two years.
Robert and I went out to see the house, as our tenants just moved. It's such beautiful country, so serene.
I probably should have taken a picture of the house, but the front yard was very overgrown and neglected-looking. I was very pleased with the condition of the inside though. Between the walls, wood floors, countertops, you'd never guess someone else has lived in it for the past two years. They did have dogs that peed on the carpet, so that had to be replaced. Even so, that's something I can live with, considering the way the rest of the house looked.
We'd love to sell it, but that's not happening right now. However, the rental market is on fire. The new people have already moved in.
I'm glad they only have fish and a frog, no dogs or cats.
And I was happy and relived a bit to find that I don't miss living out there at all. I still have some weird feelings about the whole thing. We laughingly call it our "lost years," and yet it was such an amazing time of bonding for our family. I wouldn't trade it for anything, yet I'm so thankful to be where we are now.



4 comments:
I don't think I realized that you still owned and rented out that house, Kristine. Did you charge the previous renters a pet fee? This is something we do with our rental.
We really hadn't even been looking to move--yet, and once I convinced Robert, I knew the house I wanted. We didn't have time to sell, and didn't want to take the chance of losing this one. We couldn't afford to sell--your reasons for renting I think were similar to ours. I want to charge anyone new a pet fee in addition to regular rent; we'll see. But I can live with the damaged carpet, since the rest of the house was left so nice. You know, Linda, how a house you've lived in is a bit more of an attachment than if we'd never lived in it. :)
I also didn't realize you still owned the house! What a lot of work to be landlords!
Cindy, we have a property manager. We're not making any money on the house, but it's HUGE to have someone else taking care of everything. And in the meantime, the renters pay down the mortgage, and hopefully we'll be able to sell it at some point in the future.
Post a Comment