Logistically, it was a challenge for me, between Holly's class ending Thursday, Trevor's class beginning early Friday, figuring what to do with Holly while I was at class with Trevor all day (an adult had to be present with the kids), and I was reluctant to make that three hour drive each way two days in a row.
So we stayed overnight at the hotel, leaving Holly behind in the morning.
Trevor's class began the same way at the other class, with a get-to-know-you activity (lots of these pics to follow).

The session began with with two songs, one silly, where the kids jumped up and down almost as fast as they could.

They broke into pre-arranged committees, and we went to the Capitol to prayer walk. I'm very thankful for the great weather we had. It was chilly, in the 30s, but the sun was warm, and there was no rain or snow.

I found a mom to watch out for Trevor if necessary, and I raced back to the hotel to pick up Holly just before check out time. We missed the kids going up individually to the front of the room to read their bills (which were then assigned to committees depending on topics). Shortly after we returned, the kids broke for lunch, which we ate in the building cafeteria.
When lunch was done, the kids split up into their committees, where they discussed and voted on the bills to which they'd been assigned. The program did a terrific job with age-appropriate activities keeping the kids engaged and moving around a lot. The next exercise was a scavenger hunt back at the Capitol. Each student was given a list of two dozen questions to find or answer with their family: What color are the curtains in the Delegates' meeting room? Find a picture of Pocahontas. Who laid the cornerstone at the Capitol building? What is next to the statue of Edgar Allen Poe? Holly was a huge help here, as she knew, or knew where to find, many of the answers.
27,000 sf underground addition built in the last decade.
I also learned it's only one of eleven U.S. capitols without a dome.
I also learned it's only one of eleven U.S. capitols without a dome.
When we returned to the meeting room, the kids participated in a mock legislature, the same way that Holly's class had. They were given a sheet of paper with protocol written out, and some of the kids who'd attended previously were familiar with the process. They voted on bills they'd written for their homework, including allowing penguins free meals in fancy restaurants, and a bowl of ice cream for any child who makes their bed in the morning. Everything went very smoothly (and hilariously!), and most were not shy at all about joining right in.
We left for home, and with all the leftovers of the food I'd packed for Holly, there was no need to stop on the way home. It was a great end to an exciting week. Not surprisingly at all, Trevor can't wait to join Holly next year for the four day class.
---------------------
Growing up, I had four years of California state history. I can't say that's served me particularly well, as I haven't lived in California in 30 years. Virginia history is a little different in the way it ties into our country's history as a whole.
The Capitol building was designed by Thomas Jefferson, with then-Governor Patrick Henry laying the cornerstone.
The Virginia House of Delegates is a direct successor to the House of Burgesses, which first met in Jamestown in 1619, making it the oldest legislature in the Western hemisphere.
Richmond served as the Capitol of Confederacy, and following its fall on April 3, 1865, President Lincoln toured the Capitol on April 4. He was assassinated a week later.
So fascinating to me, and what a privilege for my kids to have this particular opportunity to see our state government in action.


5 comments:
Awesome, Kristine! Glad you worked out the travel details, as well.
Trevor looks cute in a white shirt and tie. Now about the ears lowering operation.....
LOL!!! He does prefer to wear his hair long, but I've been insisting he do *something* with it. It looked nice for TeenPact though. :D
I figure after all the years he put up with a buzz cut, he's getting his revenge.
Josh is finishing up his Teen Pact homework this weekend. He heads to our state Teen Pact on Monday.
I cannot wait to hear what he thinks!!! Will Sarah be at yours? And DID YOU SEND HIM WITH A CAMERA????? lol
Post a Comment