Sunday, October 17, 2010

Alpaca Show

Trevor and I took a nice drive up to Lexington. I was thrilled that it's now less than an hour away; I continue to find joy in the convenience of living close to what seems like everything.

We have friends who own an alpaca farm. The alpacas are adorable. Trevor spends time with them. He knows their names and their personalities. I know nothing (seriously).



Trevor spent time on the floor with his friends, waiting for their turns in the ring.



Instead of being rated on the alpacas, the kids are rated for their own showmanship ability.



In a second event, they lead their alpacas through an obstacle course and place based on how well they work with their animal. I was impressed with the length of time the judges spent with the different groups, giving brief, private encouragements to each competitor on how to improve their skills.



I took the boys to lunch--Country Cooking. I'm glad we've tried it, and now I can never go back(!). The boys loved it, choosing their own salads, sides, desserts at the salad bar.

We missed the costume show. I'm not sure if it would have been the funniest event to watch, or the most humiliating, haha.



With Trevor on the floor, I spent most of the time chatting with another friend in the bleachers. The absolute highlight of Trev's day was hanging onto Jango's lead for an hour or so. There was a lot of waiting around, but he was THRILLED!

6 comments:

momma24 said...

An Alpaca Show...hmmm I have never heard of those. Looks cool, though. My Great Uncle used to have Llamas and they were so much fun!

Laura said...

How fun! Looks like the same set up as the horse shows and dog shows, right? What do your friends do with their alpacas? I wonder how big the market is... interesting stuff!

Becky said...

First I want to tell you how much I LOVE your header! Just gorgeous.
Tell Trevor that Alpacas are a favorite of mine. I have owned 4 llamas, and they are every bit as interesting as Alpacas, but can be very strong and a little intimadating.Alpacas are just right. How lucky he is to have access to them. Enjoy!
Becky

Kristine said...

Yes, very much like other animal shows, Laura. Our friends breed, and the showing has advantages for breeding (not to mention networking). They also sell the fleece, and my friend was busy the entire time judging fleece for this show.

Becky, I remember your spitting llama! My friends' alpacas have a guard llama!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Ah the Alacas are darling.

Cynthia said...

FUN! And, I'm glad you're enjoying your new address!