Sunday, August 15, 2010

My version of Marlboro Man Sandwiches

I've "known" Pioneer Woman way back when she was just another homeschool mom on a message board. I remember her early venture into blogging, and I read her little blog long before she bought her own domain name. But I don't remember her being famous for her recipes. She is now. Marlboro Man Sandwiches have been a long time favorite, but I've deviated much from PW's original recipe. My version:

MARLBORO MAN SANDWICHES

3-4 onions, sliced
~6 T. butter
2-3 lbs. cube steak, or other tenderized steak
seasoned salt
1/2 c. Worcestershire sauce
tabasco/hot sauce
sandwich rolls

Saute onions in a little butter until soft and light brown. Remove and set aside.

Slice cube steak against the grain and liberally season with the seasoned salt. Heat 2 T. butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown. Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, a few minutes on each side. (This never seems to work for me, I might need to try a higher heat to get a brown crust. I usually put all of the meat in at once, and it turns that grayish color, not as bad as that sounds.)

Add 1/2 cup (at least) Worcestershire sauce, 5 to 6 shakes Tabasco, and the last 2 T. butter to finish the sauce. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.

Sometimes we toast the rolls, but usually not. Everyone else in my family pours on a bunch of barbecue sauce. Sometimes we add sauteed mushrooms too.

1 comment:

momma24 said...

um...that sounds delish! I am going to try that soon.