Monday, August 16, 2010

Book Reviews

Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated by Alison Arngrim

After expressing my disappointment over Melissa Gilbert's book, my sister suggested I might like this one. Alison Arngrim is both witty and sarcastic, writing more of her personal life than her time on the Little House on the Prairie set. While a horrible childhood abuse has affected every aspect of her life, Arngrim discusses it matter-of-factly, gracefully avoided the icky detail that easily overwhelms many child stars' autobiographies.

While any fan of the show may be mildly interested in reading, the book deals with mature themes and is best left for adults.


The Beginner's Guide to Intercession by Dutch Sheets

My familiarity with Pastor Sheets is from Colorado Springs, where he leads a church, and I've enjoyed other books of his in the past.

The title of this book is misleading, not just for beginners, but helpful for anyone wishing to expand their prayer life. While it seemed the book was speaking to me as I was reading it, in the end, nothing "stuck," and I stopped reading near the end. It wasn't a bad book at all; perhaps it just wasn't the right time for me to be reading it, and I remain convinced that my lack of interest stemmed from me, not from any fault of the book.



Who Do I Lean On? by Neta Jackson


(Edited to add: Shouldn't this title read "On Whom Do I Lean?" Too strange.)

This third book in the Yada Yada House of Hope series is the best yet. With her small inheritance following her mother's death in the last book, Gabby looks into the possibility of purchasing multi-unit housing in connection with the ministry of Manna House. The character of Gabby is reminiscent of Jodi in the early Yada Yada books, and I'm enjoying watching the evolution of Gabby as she grows closer to Christ.

There's a parallel novel offered by Neta Jackson's husband Dave, which features Gabby's former doorman Harry Bentley, apparently including some of the men from the Yada Yada books. At this point, I don't have any interest in the parallel story, but I'm interested in the opinion of anyone who's read it.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I've read the parallel book and enjoyed it. It was fun reading the same story through different ideas. Well, not exactly the same story as it is really Harry Bentley's story and he had so much more going on than Gabby's problems, but it does intersect with Gabby's book often. I am looking foward to Dave's second "Brothers" book coming out soon.

Oh, and I guess the grammatically incorrectness of the title comes from needing to rhyme in the song? But I am not very grammatically correct most of the time, so it didn't bother me.