Sunday, October 18, 2009

Banana Bread!

I should have posted this recipe ages ago; I've been making it for 20 years or so. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo; everyone ate it too fast, and I froze the second loaf.

KONA INN BANANA BREAD

2 c. sugar
1 c. soft butter (I used half margarine)
6 ripe bananas, mashed (about 3 c.)
4 eggs
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2-1/2 c. cake flour (whatever, I've always used regular flour)

With electric beater, cream together sugar and butter. Add bananas and eggs, beating until well mixed.

Add baking soda, salt, and half of the flour; beat until flour is incorporated. Mix in remaining flour by hand. ***

Grease two loaf pans, taking care to well grease the corners and bottoms. Pour batter evenly into pans, and bake at 350 for 50 minutes until firm in the centers and edges begin to pull away from the sides.

Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before turning out of pans. These freeze wonderfully.

*** I often add in a cup of chopped nuts. If I forget, I add chocolate chips, but these are actually best without. (Imagine me thinking anything is better without chocolate...) The recipe is flexible, and you can be too.

4 comments:

Jana said...

I'll have to give this one a try. I love banana bread, but I just can't seem to make it. Mine always comes out heavy. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it seems to happen every time. Maybe this recipe will work for me!

Cynthia said...

Sure. I think banana bread should count! In fact, I think I'm going to go make a batch now. This sounds yummy. I've tried SO many different banana bread recipes but haven't found one yet that we REALLY REALLY love. This sounds good on a cold - waiting for it to rain or snow - day.

Kristine said...

Jana, you might try this, it's called Banana Cake, but we found it very bread-like. My family loved it.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Best-Ever-Banana-Cake-With-Cream-Cheese-Frosting-67256

Cindy, this is a good one, just skip the chocolate!

momma24 said...

I have NEVER made banana bread!! I am going to have to try this recipe. It looks yummy.