Friday, July 03, 2009

VBS

Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God . . .Eph. 6:13-17

* * * *

Our VBS theme this year put us in God's army.



Over the course of several weeks this spring, our church has torn out a large portion of the old backlot behind our building. After removing the old loading dock and parking lot, and relocating a retention pond, the entire area was sodded and landscaped. We were able to hold VBS on the property this year, which was really exciting for us.

The desolate land shall be tilled instead of lying desolate in the sight of all who pass by. So they will say, ‘This land that was desolate has become like the garden of Eden; and the wasted, desolate, and ruined cities are now fortified and inhabited.’ Then the nations which are left all around you shall know that I, the LORD, have rebuilt the ruined places and planted what was desolate. I, the LORD, have spoken it, and I will do it. Eze. 36:34-36

It has been absolutely AMAZING to see God's work.

Q. How many Calvary guys does it take to start an engine?

A. I don't know, they ended up using an extension cord.

Although Trevor was still young enough to "enlist" this year, he wanted to "command." Several weeks ago, on his own initiative, he approached our children's pastor, asking if he could instead help out with VBS. Trevor told Paul that he'd been volunteering at the Good News Bible Clubs all year, working with the elementary kids (the same neighborhood kids whom we expected to come to VBS). Paul agreed to grant Trevor's request. :)



It was baking hot out, and I was able to mostly stay inside where the snacks were being served. (NO, I was not eating, but I did leave my post often enough to take pictures!) We finished the night up with a barbeque.



The kids took advantage of the water games.



Second day: parking lot and perimeter patrol.



I even wore shorts in public for the second time in four years. (And that's another post!)

It was a good two days. It was fun for me to meet some of the Good News (club) kids that I'd heard about all year. We had a handful of really old "kids" show up (13, 15), just wanting to hang out and participate. Some of them are just so visibly hungry for God's Word. It's so cool to think that God called everyone here to serve some larger purpose . . .



It wrapped up again with water games, including a few major water fights.









"I, the LORD, have spoken it, and I will do it."

And everybody said AMEN!!!!

5 comments:

berrypatch said...

It certainly looks like everyone had a great time! ;-)

Cynthia said...

What a great post! Our church no longer does a VBS which makes me sad, but I understand the problems with doing a VBS in a church our size. One of the many things I miss about attending a large church vs a small or med sized church.

momma24 said...

Your VBS looks great! You also looked great in your shorts!!

Heather said...

Terrific VBS theme! Glad Trevor was inspired to lead, too!

Wild Homeschool Family said...

What a fun time!

My Hayley was the opposite of your Trevor, she was a year too old for VBS but asked if she could still attend (they let her). Next year she will volunteer as a helper.