Oops!!! I told someone this recipe was already up, but I realized I'm still waiting to get the picture out of my camera. I'll add the picture later.
* * * * * * * *
YUM!!!!! We've been making this for years, many thanks to our former neighbor Marilyn, who first made it for us.
TEXAS CHOCOLATE SHEET CAKE
2 sticks of butter
1 c. hot water (I'll use any leftover coffee when possible)
4 T. cocoa
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk*
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
*Put 1/2 t. vinegar in measuring cup; add milk to equal 1/2 c. Let sit for 5 mins., stir before using.
In a pan on the stove, melt butter, water and cocoa over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
While waiting for it to boil, mix sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl. When cocoa mix boils, pour it over the sugar mix, and mix by hand until well blended. Add remaining ingredients. Bake at 350 in a lightly greased pan until done. I use a 9x13 pan and bake for 25 mins., until done To make a "real" sheet cake, use a jelly roll pan, and adjust time accordingly.
Frosting:
5 T. milk
4 T. cocoa
1 stick butter
1 t. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar (about 4 c.)
1 c. chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or your choice)
Boil milk, butter and cocoa together on stove, stirring well. Pour over powdered sugar. Add vanilla and nuts, mixing very well. While still warm, pour over warm cake.
1 comment:
I wondered where the link was. Ha!
Glad you posted it. You going to include a picture as well? My chocolate cake was incredible (so I was told - I didn't have any). I'll have to compare our two recipes.
Hope you're having a GREAT summer! I don't get enough time for blog reading these days and haven't been by in ages.
Post a Comment