Thursday, July 16, 2009

Snaking around my house

Shudder.

A few weeks' back, Robert filmed lovely video footage of a black ratsnake winding its way through one of our hanging flower baskets on our front porch. I was so creeped out that I couldn't even watch the whole thing. As if I'll ever look at the flower baskets the same way again. . .

Well, our snake friend; he's back.




Robert knows its the same one. Blacky (as my husband has affectionately been calling him) has a battle scar across one eye which appears to be blind. I should find a little bit of comfort in that, but I don't. I also don't find any comfort in knowing that this snake is all to comfortable making his way up onto my back deck.



To make me even more wary, that link I posted up there tells me that black ratsnake eggs are expected to hatch in August or September. What if our snake is female?



Rob tries to convince me that black ratsnakes are good, eating unwanted rodents that might otherwise hang around the house. That would be good--but I've never seen any mice or rats or anything like that. And I refuse to consider that the snake might be doing its job.

I would like Blacky a little better, just maybe, if he ate squirrels. But he's not quite that big.



And if I come across him unexpectedly and drop dead of a heart attack, that doesn't make him too good either. And it's also not good that now I can worry about little snake babies.

Shudder.

10 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

We have them also! They are good for unwanted pests...lol

I shudder with you, although my kids love to catch them.

Heather said...

EEEEEWWWWWW

I think you win the award for shudderiest posts, Kristine!

Kathy in WA said...

Oh my goodness! That's more than I can handle. Gotta scroll down fast to your next post.

Ugh.

Cynthia said...

ACK!

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Congrats on your (husbands) pet. LOL

Linda said...

You are hilarious! I admit to feeling the same way about snakes - even though I have tended, i.e., fed, my son's pet snake for oh so very many years now :)

Laura said...

Can I just say..... AAAACCKKKKKKK!! :)

momma24 said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! I don't think I could deal with that! blech I'm creeped out just looking at the pictures.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Ugh...my heart is with you. Are they as poisionous as "non black" rattlesnakes? ::snort:: There was a snake at the house we just left in OR....but it was only a harmless garter snake...still creeped me out. LOL

Kristine said...

They are not poisonous, otherwise, he'd be gone. But we did see our first copperhead a few nights ago out on the road. Meanwhile, our new neighbors moved in with two yippy jumpy chihuahuas that they let OUTSIDE, as in to roam freely.

So now I'm thinking of raising copperheads at least until the chihuahua problem is solved...what do you think?

We'd always been warned about rattlers in Colorado but never saw one. I can live like that, lol.