Saturday, December 06, 2008

Psst--easy dinner secret

Scalloped potatoes are an old favorite at my house. In fact, they've been a family favorite before I was part of the family (we're talking Robert's family here). Oh, it's a long and involved process. You have to peel the potatoes, slice them ever so thinly and uniformly, mix up a sauce, cut up ham, dice up green pepper . . . and bake the whole thing in the oven for about 14 hours (or a little less) to get the potatoes to cook through.

So much for that. I'd rather spend my time blogging.

Hel-looo, Betty!

All I have to do now is boil water, add milk and a little butter. When someone-who-shall-remain-nameless first picked these up at the grocery store, I grossed out. But these are real potatoes, a decent sauce, and I think I actually prefer these to the old family favorite recipe. (Ham and green pepper optional.)

Definitely recommended--be sure to get the Value Size.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Kristine, my mom loves these box potato mixes and they are yummy.

Cynthia said...

LOL! Whichever method works. They both sound good to me. We love scalloped potatoes and ham. YUM! We haven't had them yet this year. I better add that to the list. We make ours in the crockpot.

Jana said...

I didn't know there WAS a home-made recipe for these - I thought Betty Crocker was it ;-) However, it never dawned on me to look for a value size! That's a definite must, 'cause we always run out when I serve this.

ps -- your Christmas lights look wonderful!

Romany said...

Yep, I've discovered a fresh chilled brand that only has healthy ingredients and tastes really good.

Thank Goodness! LOL!