I haven't been back to Pennsylvania since 1980, and that was the last time I saw any of my relatives.
Aunt Barb and Uncle Al's girls have grown up and moved out. This worked out especially nice for US, since we were able to stay in Marie's and Laura's old rooms. THANKS, Aunt Barb and Uncle Al!
My grandparents used to live here; now it's my Aunt Ann Marie's home. The first thing I did was wander around the yard and remember how things used to be. :)
Uncle Joe lives a few blocks away, and he's popped the top of his house, built a sunroom, a giant fort, a two story garage, and terraced his garden.

We spent LOTS of time visiting with everyone--which was exactly what I wanted to do!
The last time I was there, my uncle had recently married Kathy. She seemed grown up back then, but she's only 7 years older than I am. She is a doll; if she lived closer, I'd be her instant friend (whether she wanted me or not!).
We spent a lot of time eating (definitely a good thing!)
Aunt Barb planned ahead and made 280 kiffels for us. But I swear I only ate about 20 or them.
Or 100.
Aunt Barb remembered and bought us a couple of boxes of Laughing Cow Cheese--
a favorite of mine and Lori's from 1974!
She fixed strawberries with Cool Whip for Holly and Trevor. The teensy dab of Cool Whip
I usually give them will never happen again, I'm sure!
Trevor was toooo cute! He ended up between me and Holly at the BBQ. "I want to sit by RELATIVES!" he declared, and he moved to another table.
Holly and I were grateful to get in some shopping that we don't have here in Stickville.

After taking this picture, a clerk told me that I had to stop unless I had permission from the store manager. (eyes rolling)
The kids relaxed. Hey, it WAS vacation!

And they slept in.

Trevor had a resort-style vacation. He canoed with Uncle Joe on the Lehigh River.
We admired Uncle Joe's creativity.
And we visited some more.

The kids and I spent a few hours at a nearby hands-on science museum.


And we left on Tuesday morning, 15 minutes behind schedule...as usual. We sang our favorite songs.
And had a nice ride home.
As soon as we got home, Trevor didn't even go into the house. He dug out the two turkey callers that Uncle Joe had given him and ran into the back to see if he could attract some turkeys. And yes, some turkeys came running, but they were named Robert and Kristine, so that didn't really count....
We had a GREAT time visiting. It's ALWAYS great to see family!!! The six hour drive wasn't so bad, and now that we're closer, I hope they'll have us again soon. No matter what, I know it won't be another 28 years until I go back.





















11 comments:
It *is* nice to visit with long lost relatives, isn't it? 6 hours isn't so bad.
Sounds like a great vacation and wonderful food!
Your photograph angles are unique and enjoyable, Kristine. I like your perspective:)
What a wonderful trip, Kristine. I love all the photos.
Kristine,
So glad that you had a nice time.
Laura
What fun!
Sounds like a GREAT trip!!
I'm so glad you had a great visit!
What a fun time you all had from the sounds of it!
Love all the interesting pictures.
What a wonderful post! I am glad you had a lovely time reconnecting with your family. So nice that you are now within driving distance of them.
Oooh I'm jealous...I have never made it out to our Sephora. All that makeup just waiting to be bought. LOL
Post a Comment