Friday, April 11, 2008

Testing, testing

It's that time of year, and I stress.

In Colorado, we met our state homeschool requirements by testing at the end of 3rd and 5th grades. That was okay. It was good to see something tangible, to see how our kids "compared" to others their age. It was convenient that my kids tested on opposing years--testing is expensive, and I was glad to break up the cost.

Virginia requires us to test yearly. ARGH. There are a number of standardized tests that can be used. Most of those must be administered by an outside party. A few months ago, I was planning for the kids to continue testing with the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, the same one they took in Colorado. I wanted to maintain the same baseline, to get a true comparison of their progress.

Unfortunately, the ITBS is not popular here, and by the time I found a place to test, I was looking at an $80 cost, plus driving an hour each way for three days in a row, plus getting out of our house pretty early in the morning. Although Virginia only requires that we test language arts and math skills, this testing option included history and science. Not good; it'd be a wasted day. I don't teach to state history or science standards; I really have no interest in what they are. (Actually, as a hser, I personally have no interest in state standards for any subject, but I have no doubts that my kids can hold their own.)

This is 4th grade math?

Then I learned that our local school district will test for free. They use a different test. But it's free. The school district office is only 20 minutes away. And it's free. They only test language arts and math. And did I say that it's free? Still, the pluses have outweighed the minus (different test), and Holly and Trevor will be testing at the end of the month. (As a side note, it's interesting that I *never* heard about the free district testing on any of my half dozen local hs lists.)

But for me, that opens up a whole new can of worms. In the past, I've deliberately separated us from the district as much as possible. In Colorado, (as permitted by law,) I even paid a small fee for a private school to hold our testing results, instead of providing them to our public school district. If I test with our local district here, they get the results before I do. While I'm not worried about the scores, I don't like giving control of that information directly to the district.

As they've done in prior years, they are working through their "test prep" books. I've heard a variety of opinions on "test prepping" in the past. Some consider it "cheating," not testing based strictly on what the child already knows. (Like the public schools don't spend most of the year prepping for standardized tests, eyes rolling.)

Holly wonders why "pancaikes" would be misspelled.


But I'm surprised more hsers don't do it. I've considered prepping a tool to see what areas might need a little brushing up before taking the actual test. We've certainly done that in the past. It's good practice for the kids to know what to expect, to possibly see problems presented in a slightly different way.

They began their workbooks this week. It's gone really well. At one point, I seriously double checked that Trevor's book was 4th grade. I'd wondered if I'd somehow accidentally bought the 3rd grade book. Let me tell you, it's great to see them flying through these books. They've even aced the sections that I would consider their "weaker" subjects. And coming back from vacation, with just eight more weeks of school to go, Holly and Trevor enjoy spending time on these books because it means that we've dropped a few other subjects for two weeks.

Testing? Sure. They're ready. And I think I am. LOL.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristine,
I'm from the SHS list and enjoy your blog. I wondered if you could tell me what test prep books you use? I would like to begin using one for my children. Thank you!
Melanie in CA

Jodi said...

I would be stressed to give the school that level of control/info too but then again free is good and you know your children are doing well so should test well. Sounds like you're gaining peace over your choice. Sometimes we have to thnk about things for a bit to have peace with them.

Love My Dog said...

So, forgive me for knowing nothing about teaching/HSing - but what standards do you use for science/history?

Kristine said...

Hi Melanie!

It's depended on the test. In the past, we've used Scoring High on the ITBS series. This time, we're using Scoring High on the SAT (Stanford Achievement Test). I've bought the books through Rainbow Resource (www.rainbowresource.com). In the search box, just type "Scoring High" and it will bring up the different series/tests.

In the past, I've bought the teacher's guides too. This year I didn't. I didn't want to spend more money, although I have to take the time to figure out the answers for myself. (Actually, now I remember that the ITBS book had some definitely WRONG answers marked in the teacher's guide.) But they were helpful since they laid out the time frame and other good reminders for test taking.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Debbie said...

Kristine, I'm sure you know this, but you can get the SAT test from Christian Liberty. It costs around $25 per test, which isn't free, but at least you get the results first and you can give it in the comfort of your own home.

Kristine said...

Oh, Lori, great question, and I hope I can *quickly* do it justice. (g)

I don't pay much attention to standards in any subject. The curriculum we choose (or loosely follow) is an appropriate fit for my kids' grade levels in general. And my concern is more that they "get it" than whatever grade level they might be working at. (And yes, since their "grade levels" aren't a problem, that's easy for me to claim.)

Using math as an example, they started in K/1st grade at an appropriate beginner math. As they progressed through the books, we moved on. But if they hadn't, I wouldn't just skip them ahead if they didn't have everything down. In reality, there have been some concepts that came very quickly, and we moved through them quickly. There were other concepts that took more time, so we slowed down, used a different teaching method, worked through the section again (or any variety/combination of those). In a few instances, we've switched curriculum to find a better "fit." For us, this individual flexibility is an advantage that most kids don't have.

For history, they've done a consecutive 3-4 year study of world history (we're in the second rotation). That's probably not in line with any state's standard. While VA students score well nationally, I wonder, frankly, at VA's history SOLs. The 8th grade "social studies" teacher told me that 5th graders study state history; 6th graders study American pre-Civil war; 7th graders study American post-Civil war; 8th graders study civics and economics. (But I think they study state history in 4th grade...) Anyway--my problem is what's with all the American history? Why isn't anything else considered important--when it had SUCH an impact on our lives now? What about the rest of the world? Yes, it's taught later, but it's just my option to teach it early, teach it often--along with American history in the context where *I* believe it's a better fit.

Now that might change slightly at high school level, as I would make sure that any work/transcripts would be in line with college requirements. But there would be many electives, and it wouldn't be difficult to study history within a time period that would be appropriate.

I don't necessarily see "my" way as "better," just different. If we were coming from another state into this one, our standards would not line up item by item.

So I guess my short answer (finally!) would be that I don't follow any "standard" but that I am confident that our curriculum is at an appropriate level. :)

(Oh there are SO many things I could continue to blab on about! Call me!!!)

Kristine said...

Debbie, I don't think I did know this, about the SAT and giving it yourself. This is definitely something to consider in the future. :)

When I panicked a few weeks ago, I considered the CAT test. I can give it myself, and it's not expensive. It also is quite short, considered a "survey" apparently, but satisfies our state requirement. Another plus is that the results are sent quickly, which is great in a time crunch.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the workbook titles Kristine! Have a good day--
Melanie in CA

Amy said...

Is there a local Christian school that would allow you to test there? I'm so glad that Indiana has NO testing requirements (or 'any' requirements except to keep attendance just in case someone might ask!) We are testing this year just for our own curiosity.

Kristine said...

Oh, Amy, that'd be great, it's just not something I've heard about. I'll keep my ears open for next year, though!

Cynthia said...

It's always so hard to know what to do.