
I've made pot roast before. Several times. But I've only found one recipe that turns out great.

90 MINUTE PERFECT POT ROAST
(from start to finish, this is really more like a 2 hour roast)
2 T. oil
1 flat, boneless chuck roast, 2-2.5 lbs., with as few muscles as possible, a generous amount of fat separating those muscles, and as much marbling as possible, patted dry with a paper towel
Salt and pepper
2 medium-large onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 2 c.)
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 c. dry red wine
1 T. cornstarch
2 c. chicken broth
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450.
Set a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat on the stove while preparing the meat and onions. Pour oil into medium bowl (or the styrofoam roast tray), add roast and turn to coat. Generously sprinkle both sides of roast with salt and pepper. A few minutes before you plan to brown roast, turn heat to high. Add roast to dutch oven, cook on one side until a solid brown crust forms, 5 mins. Turn roast over, and cook until other side also forms a crust, 5 mins. Remove roast from pot. Tilt pot. If meat has not rendered 1 T. fat, add enough oil to the pot to equal 1 T.
Add onions and saute until soft and golden brown around edges, 5 mins. Add wine (the smaller amount if dutch oven is 9.5" in diameter or less), simmer for 1 min. to burn off alcohol. Return pot roast to pot and turn off heat.
Cover pot with heavy foil, pressing down snugly to form a *concave* lid that touches the roast inside the pan. AND place pot lid on pot. Return pot to burner and cook over med.-high heat until you hear juices bubbling.
Set pot in oven and cook 1 hour and 20 mins. until roast is dark brown and tender and onions and pan juices are nicely brown and caramelized. Remove from oven and let stand, covered, for 10-15 mins. Carefully remove lid and foil from pot and remove roast to a plate.
Skim fat from surface, if you like, and heat onions and drippings over med. high heat. Mix cornstarch with chicken broth and add to drippings. Simmer, scraping pot sides and bottom to loosen brown bits, until thickened slightly, 2 to 3 mins. Return toast to pot to simmer for a minute or two. Remove roast from juices.
Cut meat into thin slices, making sure that you are cutting against grain. Transfer meat to a platter and spoon juice over.
* * *
You can see the appeal of Laura's, which took a grand total of 5 minutes to
But while we don't have Laura's Pot Roast here, we do have Chow Chow in a jar. Don't laugh. Robert's mom used to make the real deal, but she hasn't done that in about 15 years. Beggars can't be choosers, and although we found out this is made with cabbage instead of green tomatoes, it was an AWESOME addition to our pot roast.

Lose Laura's. Gain Chow Chow. Fair trade.
6 comments:
I always find something delightfully incomprehensible on your blog, Kristine! {g} Chow here is dog food. But it can't be that if you are eating it with pot roast. It had green tomatoes, but now has cabbage and it's caled the great american put on? What's a put on? I'm trying really hard to imagine! Put me out of my misery!
We L O V E pot roast here. Had it last night as a matter of fact.LOL
I'll have to try your recipe sometime!
I have no idea what Chow-chow is supposed to be. Looks yucky.lol
Yes, it does look yukky! I even cut most of it out of the picture.
I think it might be an Eastern US thing. It's pickled, so it probably doesn't make a big difference exactly what vegetable is used, lol. I was thinking you could use it like relish, PUT it ON hot dogs. We usually have had it (in the past) with the drier, roasted meats. It adds a nice little tang.
I'm not sure if this helps, Dorothy! It's just weird regional American food!
Aaaah, I see, maybe like our chutney.
Except that I think that would be disrespecting chutney, lol.
Marvin's Mom used to make homemade chow-chow. Everyone in the family just LOVED it! Honestly, I never could eat it. But, it is a BIG thing in the south, as well. :)
Post a Comment