Sunday, February 03, 2008

Project 365: Day 34

What do you do when you spend an hour in the car driving to church? Robert cracks jokes to wake us up (even though it's after 9:00 a.m.). I watch the clock, wondering if it would ever be possible for us to get there five minutes early (apparently not).

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Pro. 27:17

Robert immediately knew this was the place for us. With all that's happened in the past year or so, it was no surprise that the first sermon Rob heard spoke directly to him. Speaking to the pastor after the service, it wasn't a surprise to know that he'd changed his sermon at the very last minute and didn't know why. And I guess it wasn't a surprise that Robert stayed and chatted for more than an hour before coming home. (When did my husband turn into such a talkative guy?)

Enthusiastically, Robert dragged us along the following week. It was nice, but I needed more convincing. Why couldn't we choose one of the 140 churches that were closer to home? And couldn't we leave the house sometime after 9:00 a.m.? (Well after?)

But we already know and love Calvary Chapels' teachings. This pastor is challenging and stretches us. The leadership seems strong and committed. This church is the perfect size. (I'm not sure what that is, maybe 150 people?) The people are soooooo incredibly friendly. I have been so happy to meet a lot of families here that homeschool. (Have I met anyone that hasn't?) We enjoy the worship team. There are many opportunities to meet during the week. And every time I go, I'm convinced again. Finding this church has been an answer to prayer, a wonderful blessing.

Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Heb. 10:25

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey I go to Calvary Chapel too! Not that one, of course!

Don't you love the way they teach through the scripture in order instead of jumping from topic to topic?

Vicki SHS

Romany said...

That's good! How exciting that Robert felt so immediately at home and at peace about it. Shame about the drive though.I hope you don't get stuck behind any farm vehicles! Or parades!

The church we go to in the evening has teaching like that. Last night's was so interesting and powerful I think I can remember every sentence this morning, as I woke up thinking about it. Yesterday morning's sermon in our local church, well, I can barely remember the theme. The one thing I do remember is the pastor explaining to us that the 'aliens' mentioned, in the passage of Genesis he was preaching from, didn't mean 'little green men', but strangers. {sigh} Ummm, thanks for explaining that...

We keep hoping God will release us from this local church, but He clearly has other plans.

Laura said...

What a blessing, Kristine! That is just wonderful that you have found a church home - even if it is a distance away. :)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Kristie, I'm so very thrilled for you. I've been praying you would find a nice church home in your new state. God is good. It sounds like a great spot to plant some roots.

Emily said...

What a blessing to finally have found your new church home.

Michele said...

I didn't know that you went to a Calvary Chapel! We go to Calvary Chapel of Raleigh. We "accidently" found it when we were at Best Buy. We just love the teachings. Oh, and we have the toilet paper holders that you have in the other post. This is getting a bit eerie! Lol!

Kristine said...

We love Calvary's teachings. We went to one in Colorado too.

Dorothy, you are in both churches for very different reasons, that's for sure!

Ah, Michele, I'm already twins with Laura. Maybe we can be triplets? But remember that we ended up here in the same way that you ended up in NC!

Anonymous said...

Kristen,
I think you know this, we started a Calvary Chapel about 2 years ago. We used to drive 45 minutes every morning to one of the CC around here. In fact last Sunday we went to CC Philly to listen to Joe Focht teach, 45 minutes away. I think verse by verse teaching is such a blessing.
Enjoy your new church!
Laura

Cynthia said...

I don't envy the drive, but agree that the drive is worthwhile when you find just the right place.