An unexpected negative about going to church an hour away is that we are ravenous at lunchtime but usually aren't ready to head home. While Holly and Trevor eagerly anticipate Taco Bell, McDonald's or Wendy's, Robert and I have been reluctant to drop $20-$25 on fast food every Sunday. It's not really feasible to bring food--it's all we can do to get out of the house on time to begin with, and a picnic in the car when it's 20 degrees outside is NOT fun.After church today, we were trying to run more errands before going home for a late lunch. Trevor mentioned Sam's Club--two slices of pizza and a pop for $2.50. It was a good alternative . . . not to mention that we then cruised the store for free samples. We were still so stuffed at dinner time that everyone chose to do a YOYO* night. Somehow, I ended up the clear winner in this, since I didn't have to cook!
*YOYO = You're On Your Own
14 comments:
My kids love Sam's Club pizza. And I'm with you -- I love how cheap it is!
I can feel your pain!! (hunger pain) We drive an hour to church too. I always think I'll take food to eat at the church before heading back home, but never quite seem to get it done.
Ü
What's your new church like, Kristine?
I know exactly what you're going through, Kristine. Our church has 2 Sat pm services and 2 Sun am. We go on Sat unless I'm "on" musically that weekend. We also go Wed pm for music practices (Chase and I). We combine that trip with music lessons in the same time for 2 of the kids. But that means eating out Wed. and Sat. We're just away from home for too long to wait. I've just worked it into the budget, and we try to eat somewhat cheaply. There are 6 of us, though! Sam's is one of our favorite places to eat. Cheap and the pizza is good!
I'm always encouraged when others share about how far they drive--it makes me feel less crazy!
Dorothy -- It's AWESOME, definitely the church for us. Robert knew it immediately, I took a little more convincing just because of the distance. I'll do a longer post soon. :)
We're in the same boat. Since we go to town so many other days of the week as well we try to not do any errands in town after church and I try to have something in the oven ready for us when we get home. The biggest reason why we don't like to eat out is it's just healthy!
We love Sam's Club pizza too. That is a great deal. We usually eat out every Sunday too . . then we snack on Sunday night.
So, did people actually watch you take a picture of your food at Sam's. Were they thinking you were the FDA looking for bugs in the Pizza or what :)
Well, there was that time in the Kroger deli that the guy behind the counter told me he thought I was a spy for another grocery chain . . .
I try to ignore others when I'm taking pictures. I feel dorky enough, and I hope they ignore me. But I feel a little sorry for my kids!
Kristine - we drive at least 30 minutes to get ANYWHERE! :-) Our church is closer - well, kind of - in good weather I can get there in 20 minutes. LOL You do get used to driving a long way after a bit. And any city of any size (including one with a Sam's club) is at least an hour away if not more.
I TOTALLY LOVE sample days at Sam's and Wal-Mart. We will take the kids over just so we don't have to feed them later!! LOL Just kidding, kind of! ;)
Okay, now I am hungry. I always feel fortunate that our church is 2miles away.
Kristine,
We have the Sunday thing too - due to pure chaos and having 3 services and Sunday School...the problem is that the services are so close together that we have no TIME to go off base...and so we are stuck with BURGER KING every Sunday. I am SICK of their tendergrill salads. ::snort:: We went in on Monday when we got back from camping and the guy said "What, it's Sunday????" ::snort::
I'm thinking about a meal that we can eat in the Fellowship Hall between service 1 fellowship and start up of service 2....but that would require quite a bit of organization on my part....so we'll probably keep doing BK.
I like that "YOYO"! Good name for it.
Post a Comment