Saturday, January 12, 2008

Project 365: Day 12


We are not nearly as dependent upon our library this year, but this week's books reflect upcoming school topics: medieval France; the plague; Chaucer. (I should have bought that Barbara Cohen/Chaucer book, but we'll have to muddle through without!)

While in the online catalog, I stumbled upon this movie (The Inn of the Sixth Happiness) starring Ingrid Bergman as Gladys Aylward. But a closer look at the amazon reviews indicate this may not be a great choice. We read the book a few months ago, but (not surprisingly) Hollywood has taken many liberties, and I have no desire to do a bit by bit comparison. On the plus side, we rarely ever sit down to watch a real movie, so no one should be too disappointed.


(Besides, if we want "reality," Robert picked up Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark . . . and American Idol begins on Tuesday. lol)

5 comments:

Romany said...

Kristine,

We made the mistake of watching the movie just after reading an excellent biography of Aylward. We were shocked by what they had done to her life's story. They had completely removed God.

All the way through her life you see God's hand so clearly, miracle after miracle, yet the film-makers expunged all evidence of God and turned it into some sort of love story. Aylward herself must have been furious.

Our church's last pastor was a little boy when a nice lady who used to live in China would come and talk to his Sunday school. {g} Yes, Gladys. What a lovely memory.

Kristine said...

Thanks, Dorothy, I really appreciate your comments. I make it a habit to read the negative reviews (usually at amazon), and even though this movie was highly rated by almost everyone, what you write confirms what I could glean from the few bad reviews. :)

Emily said...

We read the book and watched that exact movie. I agree with Dorothy that at what they did but we did like the movie though . . .there just aren't too many clean movies that the whole family can watch together. That is why I am so glad we read the book first to know the truth before watching the movie and could acknowledge what they left out or changed

Cynthia said...

I'm torn on this one. We actually enjoyed the movie and while it doesn't go to the lengths of sharing story after story of God's work in her life, imo, there was no doubt that God is the one who made a way for her to go to China and she made mention of it being God who placed it on her heart to go. And, at the end it shows the leader of the town accepting her faith.

Anyway.... I'm glad we watched the movie.

Cynthia said...

Like Emily said, if for no other reason than there just aren't that many good movies out there to watch these days.