"Noooooooo! No! No, no, no! I don't WANT to go back to school todaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!"
The screaming and crying this morning was almost unbearable. But I finally pulled myself together and was able to wake Holly and Trevor up to start the day.
This has been a bomb of a school year for us. (But I honestly have to wonder if I always think that at this time of year.) This year has never gelled for us like in years past, where we've always crammed as much as possible in over the first few months, so that we could slow down and relax a little when the post-Christmas winter doldrums hit.
I'd planned a one week Christmas break. Ours lasted three. And after such a long break, there's no way we can jump back into school with two feet. I've scheduled an "ease-back-into-it" kind of week.
We stopped reading Tabitha (our Advent story) and will read several chapters a day this week to finish on Friday.
Trevor's Christmas photo journal died a sudden death when school stopped. He's decided to take photos of his gifts and write about those instead.
After attempting to tackle Henty and read In Freedom's Cause (about Scotland's liberation from England in the 1300s), I finally gave Holly the good news today: We've stopped reading it. This was NOT a fun book to read.
Holly's science lab from our last week of school still is not completed, so it goes on this week's schedule.
As much as I love Artistic Pursuits (and will review eventually), Holly continues to loathe it. I've tossed that aside too, allowing her to keep her own Project 365 blog. I'm determined to count something for art this year . . . and we've really wanted her to get back into photography, even without an instructor.
To top it off, we hit 67 degrees today. We almost broke out the bathing suits. It was a good end to a day that didn't look so bright at the beginning. I'm just hoping we can make it through four more this week.
:)
5 comments:
I'm with Holly on Henty. I've never liked him. I guess I don't get why he's so popular with home-educators.
When you've got Rosemary Sutcliffe, Barbara Willard, Geoffrey Trease, Henrietta Branford, Mary Ray, Michelle MacGorian etc etc etc...
Now THEY know hoe to tell a story!
Even though my kids go to school it was hard for us to start back too. Hearing the alarm go off at 7:15 am isn't music to my ears :-) LOL
We are also have a slow "get back to school" week. The younger set is finishing up a lapbook we started on Christmas Symbols. Bess has jumped back in full swing, but I had to take note of Holly's feelings on Artistic Pursuits. Bessie has enjoyed it, but is now finding it boring...too much of the same thing. Not sure what we will switch to, if we switch!
Keep plugging along.
My ds was shocked when I told him I wasn't that excited to get started with school Monday morning. I must have them fooled...lol
I was wondering if she was doing any more with photography. Is there a 4-H club around? Our club here has a good photography department. I bought that book that Jen from SHS recommended and I've gotten a few good ideas from it.
Oh.. and were we *supposed* to start school this week (LOL)?
Post a Comment