Sunday, December 02, 2007

A Christmas parade

Our county seat's population is 4,000, and our county 's is about 50,000. So I was, mmm, curious about what the Christmas parade would be like. We were a little surprised to hear that there were 110 entries.

Holly wasn't so interested in going; neither was Robert. I almost decided to skip the whole thing, but thankfully, Trevor expressed his enthusiasm, and we were off. I'm weaning myself from that "city" mode of thinking--that you have to get there an hour ahead of time to get "good" seats. We arrived about five minutes early. There was a great turnout, and we found easy parking less than two blocks away.

The parade turns right and circles downtown at the stoplight there.



It was sprinkling very lightly, and we found a dry doorway to wait for the parade to begin. Trevor found a friendly dog.



The first several cars were convertibles and kept their tops down, even with the misty rain (which only lasted 10 more minutes).

As expected, there were the usual marching bands and cheerleaders.



And baton-fire twirlers. It was mid-40s, and I bet these girls were cold.



The real name of the parade might have included the word "CANDY." Every single group that went by threw out handfuls of candy to everyone. We noticed some kids watching had grocery stacks to hold their stash. At some point, my kids were overwhelmed and stopped even picking it up.

I diligently did my part.



There were boy scouts and church groups.



And Sponge Bob and Jesus. ????



Please tell me that every parade has floats pulled by semi's.



And Tim the Toolman Taylor lawnmowers.



And floats pulled by tractors.

Please?



Robert expressed his desire for this tractor, prompting the woman next to us to inquire if we had a large spread of land. We laughed. I don't think he could turn this around on our street.

The whole thing lasted almost an hour and a half, and then we got to join the parade of cars trying to get out. But that was well worth it. It was a great day, a great parade, a great way to kick off the start of Christmas in our new town. I am SO very glad that Trevor wanted to go!!! It's a day I won't ever forget. :)

7 comments:

Love My Dog said...

Kris - Alameda has a town parade on the 4th of July. The town is an odd mix of people, small town feel, lots of Victorians and was a naval air station, lots of retired military, yet only 20 minutes from the city and Berkeley. SO the parade starts w/bands/batons/etc. Then comes a F whatever jet pulled by a semi, then comes a float by the small dog park people, then a float by Out on the Island (men in pink skirts), then an NRA float, then an impeach Bush truck, horses, bands, veterens, vegans, mounted police, Harley group, etc. Absolute HOOT to see!!!

Anonymous said...

I know why you like that place. It's back to your roots. If you saw Clinton, NJ you'd see downtown buildings like that. You would see John Deeres and semis in the local parades.
You would also see hills with trees, devoid of leaves, etc.
Welcome home.

Debbie said...

I love small town living! You will be surprised how much there will be to do.

Anonymous said...

Kristine -
That looks like our local parades. Except you have lovely hills and we are flat. :) Yes, we have semi's and tractors pulling floats, Shriners in goofy little cars and of course, the horses pulling up the rear. Plus, everyone tosses out tons of candy. I love small town parades! :)
Laura in MO
http://web.mac.com/lmjmann/iWeb/LifeAtWillisCreekRanch

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Hmmm....my comment disappeared! LOL

Just commented on how fun this looks. We've really discovered that we LIKE small town living (close to a bigger town)....and things like this parade are one of the reasons....the crowds for all events in San Antonio were just to off putting.

Kathy in WA said...

Kristine - what a fun parade! Rachel (my almost 12 year old) was in one last weekend with the co-op Drill Team. It was COLD but we bundled up warm. I made the entire family go. I think I had the best time. :) The other groups weren't anywhere near as wonderful as my dd's fantastic team.

Of course, I might be biased. LOL!

I had such a blast following the drill team down the road and seeing them perform their dance over and over. So grown up yet little girl at the same time.

Glad you all had fun!

Michele said...

This looks like so much fun. I'm feeling sad now because I didn't go to our town Christmas parade. Now I know we are a big town compared to you with 8000 residents but it looks the same. Next year, we are going to have to make the effort.