Saturday, December 01, 2007

Christmas flowers


Robert brought two of these home for me the other day. Normally, I'd think, "Poinsettia, schmoinsettia." I'm kind of a flower scrooge--all I can think about is how much money they cost. But these are so pretty! I love how they are sprayed with glitter to make the leaves sparkle.

Did you know that the colored top leaves really are leaves, not flowers? The flowers are the tiny little yellow things in the middle.

Poinsettias are a native plant of Mexico, and that's where the plants first became associated with Christmas. An old legend tells of a child who had no gift to bring the Christ child at Christmas Eve services. After being told that the most humble gift, if given in love, would be acceptable in His eyes, she picked a bouquet of weeds from the side of the road. When laid at the foot of the nativity, the weeds bloomed red and green, and people were sure they'd experienced a miracle.

* * *

And now you know why I do well at Trivial Pursuit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool story behind the pointsettia. Hey, come back over tomorrow and enter your answer for the bowling question! I don't care if you look it up. I just came up with 5 trivia questions that I think everyone should know the answers to. The bowling one is a silly one but the cactus one proved to be useful info.

Jen

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Pretty.

Cynthia said...

BEAUTIFUL flowers and thanks for the story behind them. I did happen to know those were the leaves thanks to our botany studies (LOL).