I checked out both Wonderful Tonight and Beginner's Latin on the same day from my library. Is it sad to say that I finished this book first? It's been out for awhile, and my only attraction to it is that my library does not yet have the new Eric Clapton bio. I chose this while I wait. The amazon reviews were scathing, although the truth is that I tend to read only the negative reviews. It wasn't a bad book.
The oldest of five children, Pattie Boyd recalls her early childhood in Africa, later growing up in British convent schools, and avoiding her emotionally distant mother's new and abusive husband. Eventually stumbling into modeling work, Pattie meets George Harrison, they do a lot of drugs, get married, do more drugs, and George cheats on Pattie. Eric Clapton falls in love with her, so she leaves George for Eric. They do a lot of drugs, get married, do more drugs and Eric cheats on Pattie.
Now you don't have to read the book, because that's the gist of it.
I don't expect Pattie to be able to write a decent book; that's why she has a co-author. But Penny Junor did a lousy job cleaning this up. There's no depth, no emotion. The story had the potential to be well told, interesting. Instead, it's just a run on narrative of Pattie's life that gets tedious.
It was an easy, mindless read, but not particularly recommended, unless you have any interest in the parties involved.
2 comments:
Mmmm Kristine, I'm not sure Penny Junor (a pretty boring person in her own right and professional apologist for hire) could possibly have made this story interesting.
I've heard Patti being interviewed and her life, that of a spoilt rock wife who took a lot of drugs, really was that tedious. Just because the people she married were famous doesn't make her (or them) interesting. Don't ask me how I know this.
I don't think this book would have ever been on my reading list, but I'm still glad for your book reviews! At least I'm more knowledgeable about a lot of things just because I read your reviews!
Post a Comment