Trevor helped a lot making the soup, and it was FUN! It made me realize, once again, that although I spend a lot of time with my kids in school, I need to be working more at fun time outside of school. We all would benefit from that, I'm sure.
We also had sliced cheese, sliced apples, beer (as in the diet, root kind), and bread and butter (although monks only had butter for special occasions). It was too bad that Robert and Holly didn't care for the soup--Trev and I both thought it was terrific, and we both had seconds. I could eat this often.
* * *
Lentil Soup
2 T. oil
2 c. green lentils
1 T. minced garlic
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
1 potato, cut into 1" cubes
8-10 c. water or chicken broth (I used about half and half)
2 bay leaves (remove before serving)
1 T. chopped parsley
1 t. thyme
1 t. oregano
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil; when hot, add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook two hours, stirring occasionally. Can blend/puree before serving, but I just mashed it up with a potato masher to keep some of the texture.

* * *
It had been warm and drizzly all day; I am loving this weather. It was a nice change from the sun, and since it was 70 degrees, we still sat on the front porch to do some school work. Robert and I spent too much time watching the awful pictures of the California fires. We have friends who evacuated late Sunday night.Trevor's chess club met tonight, so we had a bit of a drive. I snapped this right by the church where chess club meets. I would love to spend a day or two just driving around and taking pictures.

Hmmm. Maybe three days.
5 comments:
Sounds/looks like you live in a very tranquil place.
Sitting outside in the evening sounds wonderful!
Ohhhhh that lentil soup looks wonderful. We had small cool front come through today. Carlos took me out to lunch after we went to visit Della in the hospital. We both had Chili and it hit the spot on this semi-cool day :-)
Your days lately just sound so glorious!
The dinner looks fabulous! One of these days I'll be more of a fun-schooler. The picture of the lake or pond is gorgeous!
Jen
I'm also loving the cool turn in our weather. I LOVE soup. Two years ago all my soups were cream of or cheese based - so I've had some adapting to do - but it's fun to have soup again - I'm going to try this one one of these days.
I love lentil soup, can I have Robert and Holly's next time you make it? VBG
The monk's supper sounds like good fun.
Post a Comment