The book traces the Brethren from early 1700s Germany, where they were not allowed to worship freely. Recruited by William Penn, they settled in Germantown outside of Philadelphia. Because of their similarities to the Amish, I assumed they had the same roots, but no tie exists.
At the time of the Revolutionary war, the Brethren faced persecution from Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine and others for their refusal to fight, and for expressing gratitude to the British Crown for allowing them free worship in the colonies. Due to the persecution, many left Pennsylvania, coming down the "Great Wagon Road." Also known as the "Carolina Road," part of the trail runs through a nearby park.

A doctrinal split in the late 1800s eventually led to the construction of this church. It's on a main road, and we drive by it often. It's a large church, lovely, and no sign marks the building.

We are the number two dairy producing county in the state. Most of the dairies here are owned by the German Baptists.
Following the church's history in our county, the book goes on to the agricultural operations of the German Baptists. This county has experienced a lot of growth over the last decade, and many of the farms have closed or are currently threatened. Like the Amish, many farmers' children have turned to other occupations. The second half of the book contains mostly interviews with German Baptists and/or dairy farmers, who orally recount their home and work life, and how they are affected by modernization and growth.I felt a little guilty, as our house sits on part of what used to be one of the area's large dairy farms. I enjoyed reading of places I know, some people's names I recognize, and areas with which I am familiar. Knowing more about a community helps me to feel that we belong.
No one else would find this book very interesting, but I'm glad that I found it. It was a great read!
5 comments:
This is very facinating to me! How neat that you could find a book of the local history.
That is great that you are learning more about the history of your town/area. I would like to do the samething . . . I just haven't had a chance.
Sounds interesting. Having just finished the Revolutionary War period of history with the kids, it would be interesting to read this myself. I love this kind of book!
Sounds quite interesting!
Well, I was fascinated by the spotty cows. Dalmations?
Post a Comment