Monday, September 03, 2007

Giving notice

For several days, I've been putting off writing the Notice of Intent that VA requires hsers to file each year. The Notice itself is easy. But I also have to include "a description of the curriculum to be followed for the coming school year," one for each child.

What in the world does THAT mean? Checking the internet, HSLDA and my local hs support group give different advice. And different districts here view the requirement differently too.

It's all quite overwhelming to me. What am I supposed to write?

Robert suggested an oh-so-brief outline, using the scope and sequence from our base materials. Okay, sounds great, but maybe he'll do it for me? (Oh yeah, right. I never should have called this "my computer.") I've worn the Queen Procrastinator crown long enough, and I finally pieced something together tonight. I'll never be happy with it, but I'm sure it will do. What I really should be doing is counting my blessings that this is the biggest hoop I need to jump through to satisfy my state law . . .

3 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

Good luck for the new year! I'm sure that your paper is just fine. I've found that for the most part, school systems don't look too closely at those things.

Anonymous said...

Just type on there:
"Trying to survive from day to day.
And if we learn something, that's great too."

I think that will cover it.

Or else you could put something about dissecting spiders & collecting leaves & doing math with M&Ms.

(You KNOW which part is MY favorite!)

Debbie said...

Kristine, we have to do that same thing in NY. Here is my ideas on it...short and sweet! If they want more, let them ask.

Here is what I do...
List the subjects and all the books we plan to use, title and author/publisher. Thats it!!! I also put at the bottom, this material may or may not be used whole or in part. I have changed my mind so many times and I don't like being locked into any one thing. This has worked for me for 10 years! So far, they have taken it. Of course, in NY we also have to file quarterly reports, so any changes are noted on those.

HTH