The humidity is high here in the mornings, and the sky is hazy.

This zoo is tiny, tinier than we thought. I'm sure we were done within an hour, but we saw some things we don't usually see too. Like the Burmese python getting fed. They use dead, frozen, and then thawed rats. It was pretty gruesome, in my opinion. The zoo person uses a hook and dangles a rat in front of the snake. Out of habit, the snake grabs and begins squeezing. Then a few more (dead) rats are thrown in. I was lucky on this picture--I snapped right at the same time the snake gulped. Ewwwwwww!

As the temp rose, the haze/humidity began to burn off. Roanoke broke 15 records last month for highest, or highest low, temperatures.

I was able to convince Trevor to head much closer to home before stopping for a very late lunch. We hung out for a while and headed to a new park that's very close to our house. No surprise that Trev was drawn to the creek. We found a giant tree with an odd lime-looking, citrus smelling fruit. (What fruit tree grows that big?) He also found a little mollusk shell in the creek.
I was really hoping to get a picture of the brilliant orange sun tonight, against the purple sky, but this was the best I could do.
It was a great day, and I'm going to sleep early, for once!
2 comments:
Kristine, how fun for you and Trev to get some time together. We love zoos, even small ones. Very cool pix of the snake.
I am enjoying your scenery photos in your new locale as much as I enjoyed Pikes Peak.
You have a different tone in your words and it sounds like you are starting to enjoy your new area. I am glad.
I bet the small zoo was a shock after frequenting the GREAT zoo you left! The C'Springs one still remains one of our all time favorites!
Post a Comment