Saturday, August 25, 2007

Saturday

The most exciting thing we did today was go to the trash dumpsters. (I'm kidding here.) There's no curbside garbage pickup. I'm sure it's because there are no curbs. But other than having to put the garbage in my car, this is a pretty cool system.

There are dumpsters tucked away in six dozen spots around the county. Although it's for county residents, it's not publicized anywhere. We heard it from the postmaster (really).


The best part is that it's free. In Colorado, we paid $45 every three months for trash removal. And the dumpsters here even have a lovely view.


I did do more exciting things today. I spent the afternoon in town by myself. I went to the library. I can reserve books through my computer at home. The killer is that when my books are ready, the librarians will call me on the phone. Poor things. I've seen their hold shelf, and it may just fit all of my books. They will quickly begin to hate me, and this is sure to bring changes to the library: they will either automate holds notifications or begin charging for it.

They had so many Thornton Burgess books that I almost cried tears of joy. I chatted at length with the children's librarian, and she hooked me up with the local Christian hsing group. (YIPPEE!!!!)

I shopped at Walmart and then Kroger, where I talked to an elderly lady for 30 minutes in the salad dressing aisle. She gave me her phone number and invited me to visit her church and to call her anytime. And Kroger carries Laura's Natural Beef, which made me one happy shopper. (On the downside, this Walmart doesn't carry anything similar.)

After three hours, Robert finally called me. He probably thought I was trying to make my way back to Colorado.

I also got in touch with a local author (with her permission, I'll post her blog later). She casually mentioned that the ground is red because of the high iron content in the underground water--and that since we've not had much rain, my well water might smell like sulphur. Mystery solved!

Free water is nice too. We used to pay a LOT for water, more than we paid for heat in the winter. Of course, there's no need to water the grass here. And no more pesky $50 a MONTH wastewater charge (or was it stormwater?).

It was a gorgeous day, just too hot: 92 degrees, 45% humidity, blue skies, all just like Colorado. And we had a lovely sunset too (not that I can actually see it setting!).

5 comments:

Emily said...

I am catching up on your blog tonight! It sounds like you all are adjusting nicely to your new home and surroundings!

Kathy in WA said...

Fun post, Kristine. I loved walking through your day with you. It's good to see you exploring the new area and learning about everything.

Your librarians will LOVE you because you actually USE the library but they probably will come up with a way of handling your 'on hold' books. Maybe they'll just start having a Kristine's Family Shelf (or basket). :)

Duckabush Blog

Jodi said...

Yippeeee you're getting settled, popping back on SHS. You have been missed! Thanks for visiting my blog, it reinded me to check yours as you might be back to blogging and here you are.

Your library sounds a bit like ours. Ours is tiny though. They call you when ILL or holds are ready. I think we're more primitive though as you can't do it on the computer yet, the hold list for new releases is handwritten and kept at the librarians desk. I typed out some ILL books i wanted and they still handed me a bunch of little cards to fill out with each title and author. I was like I typed it all out for you neatly already! Then the younger of the two but both are old said oh that is easier isn't it we'll just take your list instead. phew I didn't have to handwrite a dozen little cards.

I love reading about your new area and new experiences!

Debbie said...

It sounds like you are really figured things out in your new area.

We have trash pickup here...no curbs, but where we used to live there was a "transfer" station...it was fun going there because we always found treasures of one sort or another. People usually leave the good stuff outside the dumpster in case anyone wants it. We got lots of great books this way.

We have never had anything but well water and septic...you get used to the differences.

Sulfur smell, we don't have that here, but know people who do. If you put a pitcher of water in your fridge, it off-gases overnight and won't smell anymore.

Your librarian will love you as increased use usually means more state money. Our library people love us! They do call more often when we have tons of books and say something like "are you coming in soon"! We fill up their reserve shelf very quickly.

Anyway...I'm rambling...so good to hear your finding your way around and getting to know people.

Cynthia said...

So glad you found out about a homeschooling group! Hopefully they'll have some fun activities!