I am looking forward to moving to a small town. I've always been a city girl, er, at least a suburban girl. When we moved here five years ago, it was like moving to a small town--after all, the population is only 350,000.
This move next month will be to a smaller town. 2,000 people. My high school was bigger than this. I am already expecting I'll have a bit of an adjustment period.
I called the small town post office today. The woman laughed and told me it definitely is a small town post office. (Hey, at least there is one!) She is familiar with our street, telling me that there used to be cluster mailboxes on the main road, but now each house has their own at the driveway. She also asked for my name, saying she would tell the carrier that we were new on his route.
Wow. I'm impressed.
We've lived in this house for five years; we've had two regular mail carriers in that time. And we still get mail for the previous owners.
And yes, this will be an adjustment for me. Right now, I have a post office two blocks away. There are also two contract postal stations less than a mile away. I can buy stamps at half a dozen other places. But no one here knows my name. No one knows my street, and I'm sure no one knows where my mailbox is.
This will definitely take some time to adjust to. And I think I'll like it.
:)
11 comments:
Hardin, MT was like this for us. EVERYONE DOES know your name. I loved living in a really small town. (sigh) I AM coming to appreciate bigger towns though San Antonio is STILL too big for my liking.
I would love to live in a small town!!! I guess our town is small but we live in the suburbs of a large city.
We are seriously praying that the Lord will move us some place that is more "small town."
Praying for your move!
Laura
LOL Sounds pretty cool! You'll have to keep us posted on your experiences. Our town is a lot bigger but we have a small town feel. The post office lady knows Jon well because of PBS and when she met me, she told me what a great guy he is.LOL
Lisa, I think it's great when people begin to know a mom through her kids, lol!
Our town has a pop of 30,000 which counts as small here. Personally, I hate living in a small town. All the disadvantages of not being a city but none of the benefits of village life and the sense of community of a village or the air force bases I grew up in.{g}
Perhaps your new town will be small enough to be more of a community, like a village. I hope so!
Sounds like you'll be moving to a very friendly place.
I love the larger libraries around here for the automatic checkout, and yet I still like to go to the small local one because they always say, Hi Robin, when I walk in. =)
I told my husband there are worse places I could be known by name. =)
I grew up in a town with just over 700 people and my dad's family had been in the town for 200+ years, so everyone really knew us...there is a small river, a road and a homestead named after the family.
We live in a little larger town...3000, but the lady at the post office knows us and our carriers come to the door with any packages.
I enjoy small town living.
It is kind of strange to have someone you don't know, come up to you and tell you about your own child.LOL I'm just glad it's good stuff.lol
I'm chuckling over here in my small portion of Maine. I live in a town of about 800. We don't HAVE a post office, store, anything really but woods, bugs, moose & more wildlife of a similar nature. Even though our town does appear on the mailing addres, it is actually routed through the nearby town. The post lady there knows me & my kids long before we moved here due to my inlaws. Every time I go in I get caught up on local gossip & the kids get stickers. I THOUGHT I grew up in a small town - then we moved here. :-)
We live in a small town, but we don't *DO* anything in the small town so it's not at all a friendly little village like Dorothy is talking about. I think it would be if we ever did anything here, but unfortunately for us, EVERYTHING in small towns around our area revolve around public school happenings.. parades and EVERYTHING are basically happening through the school. We don't use the school so we are automatically outsiders. Then... there are 1/2 a dozen small churches in and around our town. We don't attend any of them so the next place where people would get to know each other and hang out ... at church.... also doesn't happen for us. SO, you might say everyone knows us, but it's not because they want to get to KNOW us.. it's because they know us as the ones who don't do anything in the community except live here... everything we love to do is in town 30-45 minutes away. We have the advantage of having grown up out here so there are still a good # of people who know us and are friendly, but for the most part we get stares and whispers even at the grocery store.... Even with all of that we STILL like living out here because it's so quiet... however, nothing is convenient at all... so there are pluses and minuses as with everything.
I've scrolled through several posts before commenting. Beautiful pictures as always on your blog. 'm so glad your dh saved tha baby bird! Small towns??? We are about 1500 here, I think that's counting summer people, post office, library (tiny!), farm store and convenience store/gas station but that is about it. I would prefer a larger town but I like having space too. This is probably best with our animals but I wish there were more homeschoolers. Most of our friends live 35-60 or more miles away.
Post a Comment