Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Book Review - Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel

Do you remember that book Material World that came out, oh, seven years ago or so where families around the world were photographed with all of their possessions in front of their homes? It was an amazing book, and this book, Hungry Planet, is by the same authors.

Families from around the world are photographed with the food they purchase to eat for one week. There are several pages of text devoted to each family, further detailing their eating habits, shopping and cooking routines, and for many, how food availability has changed drastically in their lifetimes (becoming much more accessible and varied). Each section contains a myriad of statistics, including health information for the country, and trivia such as number of McDonald's restaurants.

The photographs are large, bright, stunning--and fascinating. I borrowed the book with Holly and Trevor in mind. They flipped through the book, looking at the pages, which is exactly what I'd hoped they would do. It wasn't my intent to read it, but I was drawn to it. It's one thing to eat at an ethnic restaurant--you'll never see the roasted guinea pigs, skinned cows heads, deep friend starfish, and oh-so-much more that are shown here. (Personally, seeing these in photographs is enough for me!) I also enjoyed the photos of many of the families' kitchen areas and food markets.

Very interesting reading--whether for adults, or shared with your kids. Definitely recommended.

5 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

I have both books and LOVE them! We poured over them last year and it's was such an eye opener. Good stuff!lol

Anonymous said...

You read such interesting books! I've requested both of these from the library.

Kathleen said...

I love your book reviews!! All I can say is....KEEP ON READING and posting for us.

Kathleen

lazy susie said...

I second this (or third this?) recommendation. We all love the Material World books and Hungry Planet. Ours are falling apart. My husband takes photos of his meals when he travels in foriegn countries. He refuses to take us though.

Back to the bonbons...

Cynthia said...

That sounds like an interesting book.