Monday, July 09, 2007

Van Briggle Pottery

So I went down to the potter's house,
and I saw him working at the wheel.
Jer. 18:3

* * * *

Although Van Briggle Pottery is famous worldwide, I'd never heard of it until after I moved here. (Actually, a friend in Idaho mentioned it to me.) Since I lead a Very Boring Life, I've driven past Van Briggle dozens of times, but we've never stopped. On the way home from Pikes Peak last week, Robert decided to pull in.

I had no idea! I didn't know there was a museum! And a store! The store was gorgeous. I wish we didn't get there at closing time, because I could have spent hours here. (The kids thought we had perfect timing.)



I was a little self conscious taking photo after photo. I worried that someone would tell me to stop, that I was somehow violating a proprietary right.



Robert really wanted to buy something. He must not think we have enough breakables to pack. (Okay, I'm being sarcastic, he's more familiar with them than I, and he'll probably take the responsibility for packing.)

This picture did not turn out well. It doesn't show anything near the true beauty of this piece, of the purple shadings of the columbine flower. I think the color is Ming Turquoise. Robert said we should take a piece of Colorado Springs with us when we move. :)



This was a really fun way to end our day. It's probably a good thing I've never been here before. I'm sure I'd have more breakables to pack!

(And no, I didn't find that verse at the top on my own, it was on display in the museum.)

6 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Loved the verse (even if you didn't think of it yourself-ha). Those pictures are gorgeous. What a neat, neat place. My kids would have been in hearty agreement with yours. A little is enough for them in this type of a situation. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree, it's nice to have things that remind you of the places you've lived.

Dorothy

Anonymous said...

My parents bought a piece of Van Briggle on their honeymoon -- a cream colored vase wtih a dogwood branch on it -- and now we can't find it. At least once a month my dad makes me look for it. I'm afraid it must've gotten broken...

Lisa in Jax said...

It's beautiful! I've never heard of this artist. I wish that I had spent more time looking at all the different places before we left Miami.

Kristine said...

Liz, I know it wouldn't be the same, but you might check out the website to see if you could order a duplicate piece for your dad . . .

Lisa, I bet there would have been GREAT artsy things in Miami! Wow!!! At some point, maybe you'll visit again.

:)

Cynthia said...

I've never heard of this either, but it IS beautiful. How appropriate that you chose a piece with a purple columbine. I don't know why I remember what I do remember when I forget so much, but for some reason I'll probably NEVER forget that purple columbine is your favorite flower (LOL).