Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Book Review - In Mortal Danger by Tom Tancredo

Congressman Tancredo is from Littleton, where we lived for many years before moving here. He's also currently one of the Republicans in the running for President, although it's safe to say he's not a viable contender. I occasionally have the privilege of listening to Mr. Tancredo on the radio talk show I listen to each morning.

The topic of illegals get my head swirling, and it's difficult for me to think about calmly. For my own sanity, I'll try to keep my personal opinions to a minimum, instead restating some points in the book.

Congressman Tancredo is a concise, to the point author. He successfully intermixes egregious examples within his written narrative. This book is not specific to Colorado by any stretch, although one chapter details the efforts of the Denver Public Library to incorporate large amounts of Spanish materials into its collection while removing English holdings.

Our broken borders and current immigration "system" (oxymoron) are symptomatic of bigger cultural issues. Under the guise of "multiculturalism" and "tolerance," political correctness has once again gone overboard, and "tolerance" is once again redefined.

America is NOT the bad guy.

Giving illegals the same "rights" as those who came here legally--CITIZENS--devalues our system. Citizenship is NOT an entitlement.

One only has to look at Europe's demographic changes over the past few decades to realize that the U.S. will soon stand alone in defending Christianity and ultimately western civilization.

A 2004 Time Magazine investigation projected that 3 MILLION illegals would enter the U.S. in 2006. That's 60--SIXTY--Boeing 737 plane loads of illegals per day for a year. And that's just in 2006.

Despite our growing awareness, we continue to see proposals touting amnesty, K-12 and higher education at taxpayer expense, along with drivers licenses and voting rights for illegals.

There are current immigration bills both in Colorado and the U.S. Although President Bush's "reform" tanked badly last week, he immediately called for Republicans to unite with him and revive this bill. The American public has made its collective voice heard, and yet the President refuses to listen.

Possible solutions:
  • Deportation. It's costly and ineffective, since we are not protecting our borders. (Laws exist but are not enforced at the federal level.)
  • Amnesty. Rewards unlawful behavior (and why do you think so many are coming, because this is what they are banking on).
  • Do nothing.
  • CUT SERVICES. No more free medical care. No more free public education (currently more than $12 billion annually). No more "anchor babies" (which law was written in the 1800s to prevent states from denying freed slaves citizenship. No more food assistance and no more housing subsidiaries. If the incentive to stay is lowered, they will leave, or not come in the first place. No new amnesties. Stop people from crossing our borders illegally.
Mexico's number one source of income is oil exports; second source of income is remittances from the U.S.--to the tune of $18 BILLION per year.

What we do now will determine the fate of our nation. Our country is indeed in mortal danger.

The simple truth is that we've lost control of our own borders, and no nation can do that and survive.
Ronald Reagan

This wasn't the best written book ever but it was very informative, pretty comprehensive. I highly recommend it. Maybe Tancredo has a chance in 2012.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting!
I don't know much about the border issues in our country but I think our country needs to do something about it before its to late.
Thanks for posting that.
Laura

Kristine said...

Laura, I thought it was because of how close we are to the border. I hadn't known it was so prevalent throughout the U.S. until Hazelton passed its Illegal Immigration Relief Act.

The book doesn't even begin to delve into the other safety issues. If it's this easy, consider exactly WHO can get in here. ANYONE, with any intent to harm our country.

Anonymous said...

That was a great book report.
Mrs. Choat would give you an A+.

Kristine said...

Thanks, Dad. I'm still waiting for you to join the Minutemen.

:)

Love My Dog said...

Kristine -

Do you really believe that he is NOT a minuteman?

And I will abstain from any other comment on the matter.

all in the family said...

CUT SERVICES. No more free medical care. No more free public education (currently more than $12 billion annually). No more "anchor babies" (which law was written in the 1800s to prevent states from denying freed slaves citizenship. No more food assistance and no more housing subsidiaries. If the incentive to stay is lowered, they will leave, or not come in the first place. No new amnesties. Stop people from crossing our borders illegally.

I like THIS solution but SOMETHING is better than NOTHING. As much as I have supported our President and still do, I VEHEMENTLY disagree with him on this issue!!

Thanks for the review!
Beth