Thursday, May 17, 2007

Book Review - The Yada Yada Prayer Group books 4 and 5

I've really enjoyed this series so far by Neta Jackson. I hadn't realized that she'd written more until I saw them on Laura and/or De'Etta's reading lists.

Book 4, The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough, continues the story of the friends. Nony's husband is violently assaulted in a race riot and much of the book focuses on his hospitalization. The secondary storyline is the possible merging of two churches to which some of the prayer group members belong. As in all the books, there are several smaller storylines.

In Book 5, The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught, Nony's husband's recovery moves to the background, and the lives of many of the other characters are more prominent. Someone is pregnant in this book too, but I'm not giving away any secrets!

In the first two books, I didn't care much for Jodi. I've enjoyed seeing her evolve into a more sympathetic character as she becomes less self involved. I've already reserved Book 6 from the library and will wait for it to come in. I'm trying very hard to not read the reviews about it, because I don't really want to know what happens ahead of time. I have one big guess, but I won't possibly spoil that here!

These are fun, light fiction books, and I recommend the series. Definitely begin with Book 1, The Yada Yada Prayer Group.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also have enjoyed watching Jodi turn into a much more mature Christian and faithful prayer warrrior.
I spent most of yesterday reading Book 5! lol
Laura

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the book recommendation, Kristine. I've been thinking about a "fun" series now that school is out and I'm almost finished with the Benjamin Franklin one that has taken me all year to read (LOL).

Kristine said...

After a year of Benjamin Franklin, you really NEED something fun, lol!

Jodi said...

I have enjoed everyone's reviews of this series. It's definitely on my "to read" list. Of course it will seem strange to see my own name as a character!