Saturday, May 26, 2007

Book Review - The Sword and the Sundial by Phyllis Prokop

This originally began as a read aloud to Holly and Trevor, but they could not get into it. It didn't help that I felt rushed to read. It's an ILL with a very short turn around time. But I was interested enough to continue reading it on my own.

I found this as a supplement to the Beautiful Feet curriculum. The Sword and the Sundial is built on the Biblical account of Hezekiah, covering events from his childhood through adulthood, c. 732 -701 BC. Judah and Israel are divided, and Hezekiah's father Ahaz rules over Judah, and threats of Syrian invasions last throughout the book. Child sacrifices continue to be offered to Molech. We already know that Ahaz refuses to trust solely in God and continues to worship false idols. When Ahaz dies, Hezekiah becomes king, determined that Jerusalem will worship only the Lord.

I enjoyed the book and immediately scanned the Bible to read about Ahaz and Hezekiah. I appreciate reading more about the division of Israel, which (no surprise) has been difficult for me to tie in with Story of the World. I bought God King a while back, which Holly read, and I've been wanting to. Since it takes place at the time of Hezekiah, I'll definitely have to put it on my "read" list and see what similar events are covered in both books. I'm also looking forward to reading Isaiah again in my Daily Bible.

The first three chapters were a bit slow, but it definitely picked up after that, and if I would have read one more chapter out loud, I know Holly and Trev would have been hooked. I hope to come across this hard-to-find book and buy a copy for our home library. If your kids are studying ancient history, I'd definitely recommend this book.

No comments: