Ah, The Marketing of Evil is another book where I wish I knew what prompted me to choose it. David Kupelian is managing editor of World Net Daily, and this book jacket is adorned with praises by people such as Dr. Laura, David Limbaugh, Dr. James Kennedy, and Michelle Malkin. It was very informative and reminded me a lot of Mark Levin's Men in Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America.
The premise: "Millions of Americans today accept ideas and behaviors that would have horrified all previous generations. Why?"
I had such mixed feelings about the book. It started off with a bang, describing the "marketing techniques" behind the promotion of a variety of social issues. This was fascinating to read, and I could easily see how these techniques have been used to gain significant public sympathy and support in so many different arenas in today's culture.
For example, I'll apply these to my personal current hot topic, illegal immigration. (Although there are laws against this, you wouldn't know it in the sanctuary state of Colorado where there are written policies in some cities forbidding police officers from turning over illegals to ICE.)
Desensitization. There are so many ways in which we've been desensitized, I can't even begin a comprehensive list. We've been listening for several years how illegals commit crime after crime, are sent back to Mexico, only to reappear here to commit more crimes. For many years, canned goods in our grocery stores have both English and Spanish labels. We hear prompts for Spanish in voice mail hell. Forms at dr.'s offices are bi-lingual. By now, it's routine. We roll our eyes, thinking, "Here we go again."
Jamming. At the point people finally get fed up, we're called racists. I don't get this one AT ALL, but hey, that puts one on the defensive and gets away from the "illegal" topic. The big guns come out to silence and discredit any dissenting opinion. (Why else would two Border Patrol agents be sitting in prison, apparently with the blessing of our President?)
Conversion. Why do we hear comments such as, "How can we fault those who want a better life?" "Your relatives immigrated." (Both true, but there are LEGAL ways to obtain this, and that's what the whole issue IS.) If you repeat something enough, you can get people to believe it. The terminology has changed. "Illegal aliens" become "undocumented workers." And how can we forget that idiot state senator from Florida who proposed banning the term "illegal alien" from government documents because it reminded her of someone from "outer space"? (She gets paid for this??)
But after this great beginning, the rest of the book doesn't follow through. It's terribly disjointed, more like a series of opinions, but there's no connection, no flow between chapters, and no consistency. Many of the points and topics were good, but there was no continual story. The bok took a truly bizarre turn for the final 1/3, wherein the author compares the MSM to the computer program in the movie The Matrix.
Reading through the chapters left me with an overwhelming sense of sadness at the state of our country. It wasn't a bad book, just not well written. I wish the author had included significantly more source references for many of his claims. It's not that I doubted them, but I wished for more information. Recommended? Sure, but don't get your hopes up, this book is not all it's cracked up to be.
2 comments:
Thanks for reviewing this book, Kristine. Sounds fascinating. Did the author offer any ideas on what to do to stop this "marketing?" I think the progression you quoted is so true. Even when we recognize that it's happening, it's hard to know what to do about it.
Nothing to stop it, just to be aware of it and recognize it.
Some of these "techniques" are more identifiable to us (!) as Holly's worked through Fallacy Detective this past year, though.
Post a Comment