It's awesome living so close. Gliders and tow planes are a common sight year round. It's always a thrill to see the parachutist practices too. And every year prior to graduation, the Thunderbirds practice for several days in the skies above our house.
And every year, we pack up snacks and chairs, drive to our favorite spot and wait. I usually get pretty emotional . . . the freedom I feel watching the jets, how grateful I am to these and to all our military, true heroes who are out there every day, fighting not just for our country, but for others to have those same freedoms . . . It's definitely one of the "proud to be an American" times that tug at one's heart. We have the greatest Air Force in the world, don't you think? This was the first year I didn't tear up--I was too busy taking pictures, 90 by the time it was done.





We met friends there too. While we're enthralled with this once a year show, the boys happily played. I guess the field was more exciting, lol.





"The values of duty and service and sacrifice may be old, but that is because they are timeless. They may be obvious, but that is because they are true. They are interwoven into the very fabric of our nation’s past, present, and future."
Secretary of Defense Robert M. GatesAir Force Academy Commencement 2007
5 comments:
I completely understand getting emotional. I was watching a "Proud to be an American" video on You Tube and cried my eyes out. My 8 year old son didn't understand why. I know one day he will.
Great pictures!
Shari (SHS)
It is very touching to see those things fly overhead!
Ah, Shari, this song always makes me cry too. My kids used to get *excited* hearing it, as they would find my crying to be endlessly entertaining!
You got some good pictures too, Kristine. Is the show loud? What a perfect day for the show.
Sometimes the jets can be loud, it just depends on where they fly. It's not deafening though. When the practice and we get to hear it for a few days, I remember the movie The Right Stuff, breaking the sound barrier, etc.
Post a Comment