Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Book Review - You Can Teach Your Child Successfully: Grades 4 to 8 by Ruth Beechick

I don't know what to make of this book by Ruth Beechick. I didn't get to finish it a few months ago, so I rechecked it out again from my library. I was hoping to get a Beechick perspective on middle school education at home. As I began reading through it, however, I honestly thought I had the wrong book. The concepts taught seem more appropriate for early elementary children, covering pretty basic spelling words and grammar rules, somewhat simple copywork, beginning cursive instruction, simple math functions. Many of the topics and suggested teachings are things that Trevor already knows, typical of third graders.

I knew ahead of time that I disagree with many of Dr. Beechick's beliefs on how to teach phonics, spelling, grammar and writing. I've thought about this for three weeks (and the book is now overdue), and I don't have the time or heart to get into details here.

Many of the math concepts were weird. The math section encouraged "scratch math" as an alternative way to understanding multiplication. This was right out of that bizarre math video. The section titled "Short Cuts in Multiplying" left me with my mouth hanging open, "Whaaaaa?" These would be better titled "Lessons to Really Confuse Children in Math."

Perhaps my problem is that I WANT to like Dr. Beechick, but she stresses too many things with which I disagree. I've read several of her books lately, and I've become more disenchanted. Am I being overly critical? A few years back, I read her similar book aimed at lower elementary grades and liked it. Do I know more now, am I choosier? (I don't think so.) In any case, I don't plan to be reading any more books of this type by the author.

I'd possibly recommend You Can Teach Your Children to other hsers so they can make their own determinations. It obviously works for some people, just not for me.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

I haven't read the math section of this book. But I enjoyed the language arts section. I've always thought it focused too much on the 4th grade level and never elaborated sufficiently on the middle school levels. Her ideas on history and science are interesting...focusing on God's hand. But I don't subscribe to a few of her religious/scientific beliefs. I understand what you mean though...although I can't sufficiently elaborate in this little box. {grin} I like some of her books, though not all. This happens to be one I like for language arts guidance. In a nutshell, it doesn't have to be as hard some people make it.~Yvonne

Kathy in WA said...

Thanks for reviewing the book, Kristine! I think I have this on my shelf somewhere. I'm hopelessly behind in my homeschool reading (too busy blogging, I guess). :)