Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Life in an Alpine Desert


Located at the base of the Rocky Mountains, my city's official altitude is just over 6000 ft. (We're MORE than a mile high city!) A lot of people think this means cold weather and heavy snowfall, but that's not the case. Our average annual snowfall is just over 3 feet, average precipitation 17," and average humidity about 50%. With over 300 days of sunshine each year, we are one of the sunniest places in the country--our meteorological classification is "alpine desert."

Even in the middle of winter, during our lowest temperatures, our skies are clear and sunny (unless it's snowing, haha). The sun's intensity at this elevation melts the snow, and fast! The low humidity is terrific--you don't sweat, and it makes the cold and hot much more bearable. You don't need air conditioning in your home, and swamp coolers are a terrifically inexpensive alternative (and they work only in dry climates).

Back in the 1800s, one of the big attractions here was the weather. The low humidity and high altitude was ideal for tuberculosis patients, who came from the east to settle here.

It's March, and we get the majority of our snow in March and April. (No snow yet this month, but it only takes a storm or two.) Regardless, it won't get that cold. In fact, we planted grass seed last week to cover the area that was under the trampoline.


Trees have started budding.


Most people don't drain their sprinklers, and we don't empty out our backyard pond. We had the stream running today.


The winters are warm enough that most plants don't die.


The native cacti get along just fine.


A little too fine, if you ask me. This stuff below is NASTY and quite abundant. The spines will go through your shoes.


Whether it's 20 or 70 degrees, the sky pretty much always looks the same.


The real temp was 65 today. But this was my front porch. (And I'm not complaining!) I fell asleep out in the sun today. Maybe I'm getting old, but it felt great, and I'm out of sync with the time change.


Even the post-sunset was beautiful. That's Venus there, with a plane trail alongside.


I'd never think I'd love living in the desert, but this is pretty perfect here!

9 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Beautiful pictures, Kristine. Nice blog! I just LOVE the thought of all that sunshine. Here in western WA we get more like 300 days of grey, rain. Ha! Not true but feels like it some time. Do you find yourself affected by the sunshine when you get so much of it? I am MUCH more cheerful on days when the sun is shining. I find it interesting to note how impacted I am by the weather. Maybe I would be more suited to a southern state. Ha!

Romany said...

So do visitors get altitude sickness there?

I don't know what height people tend to get that. I have some friends who got it staying in Peru.

Dorothy

Kristine said...

Kathy, I don't get bothered by the gray as long as the temps are "decent." Gray AND cold make me a little batty.

My mil lived in Denver (same climate as we have) for 30 years and moved to your area--and quickly bought one of those SAD lights!

Although I've not lived in your weather, and often our vacations around Puget Sound have been during record heat waves, I love your typical weather when I've seen it--but I don't know what I'd think long term!

It seems that our weather is pretty similar to your Leavenworth in the Cascades, although I think they get significantly more snow.

My mom lives in the San Juan Islands -- a banana belt. They have beautiful weather and she can often see the dark clouds over the mainland, as she enjoys the sun!

* * *

Dorothy, Yes, altitude sickness can be a problem. We have two thirds the oxygen compared to sea level (according to something I read). Usually it's not so bad for most people at this elevation. It's typical though for people to fly to Denver and then head up to the mountains, which can really be dangerous for some.

:)

Jodi said...

Oh I didn't realise you had cactus in your area. That was an interesting post.

Anonymous said...

Kristine,
Great pictures! Okay I think I would rather move to your area than Florida. Are jobs abundant in your area? :o)lol
Laura

Anonymous said...

Where do you live? Because I think I'm coming! Low humidity, sunny days? Certainly not where I live LOL.

Beautiful pictures~
Kelly

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Goodness, if I keep reading your blog I'm going to want to retire THERE instead of AK. LOL Actually we have LOTS of friends who are retiring in the Springs because it is "like AK" but not so far away.

Emily said...

Love your pictures Kristine! I have only been to Colorado once and that was during a layover at Denver. I have a dream to vacation there one of these days!

Cynthia said...

You do live in a very beautiful area of the country! Thanks for sharing all of those tidbits. I like reading the variety of your blog... mine seems to only be about "us"... I should branch out a little more and explore some other topics.