Friday, March 16, 2007

Emily's Tortilla Soup


This was a big hit! I wasn't so sure in the beginning. It sounded pretty good, but everyone knows that I'm not such a good judge of recipes. I needed something quick tonight, between school, Holly's riding lesson, and Trevor's basketball game. While Holly was riding, I bought everything I needed. When we came home, I started the soup. I didn't like seeing all the cans in my garbage--BUT it's really a healthy soup, and I used sodium-free and fat free things. Everyone liked the smell of the soup cooking, and I turned it off when we went to basketball, covered it, and turned it back on when we got home two hours later. Everyone ate it up, having two bowls each! I've linked the recipe on Emily's blog, but I'm typing it here too, so I can have my own copy (and I'm doubling it here because even this much just gave us just a small amount of leftovers).

EMILY'S TORTILLA SOUP

28-32 oz. of chicken broth
2 cans refried beans
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (I forgot to buy two cans and only used one)
2 c. cooked chicken, cubed
1 can corn, drained
2 c. salsa
1 c. water (ooh, I forgot to add that completely . . . )

2 c. shredded cheddar
tortilla chips
sour cream

Place first seven ingredients in a pot and simmer for ten minutes. Turn off heat, add cheese, and stir until melted.

Place crumbled tortilla chips in bottom of soup bowl. Add soup, and top with dollop of sour cream.

Thanks, Emily! We'll be having this again--the kids are already requesting it!

3 comments:

Romany said...

We made this after Emily posted it. I didn't have any black beans so used borlotti beans. It was great and is going into our soup repertoire!

Dorothy

Kathy in WA said...

I am definitely making this recipe. I mailed a copy of it to my mom and her family. Sounds so easy and delicious. I can't wait to try it. I'm glad you posted the link as well as the recipe itself.

Emily said...

Yea!!! I am glad you all liked it. My sister makes it like you . . .she used all fat free ingredients when she could!