* * * *
We went to Mimi's Cafe for breakfast this morning. We haven't been there in ages, and it is so good. (Blissful sigh.)* * * *
I made Lisa's Santa Fe Chicken tonight, which was a pretty big hit. Like Lisa and Eric, I ate it over rice; Trevor and Robert ate it in tortillas; Holly pushed it around her plate and filled up on guacamole and tortilla chips. But if three of us really like it, I consider it a hit! I'll definitely make it again; it was super easy, and the most time consuming part was cooking the brown rice. While a few of the ingredients are the same as the Emily's Tortilla Soup, they taste nothing alike. This is also very healthy, and I'm quite sure you could substitute fat free cream cheese. I'm copying my slightly modified recipe here, so I'll have it handy later:
SANTA FE CHICKEN
1 can black beans, drained
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 c. salsa
1 can corn, drained
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese (I used the "lite" cream cheese)
1 c. cheddar cheese
4-5 cups cooked rice OR tortillas
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large pot and cook until heated through. Stir in cream cheese just until melted and blended. Serve over cooked rice, or roll into tortillas, and top with cheese.
* * * *
My washer is dying. We bought it with a dryer 15 years ago, refurbished (meaning well used, and nicely cleaned up), for about $300 total. We replaced the dryer several years ago, but this washer has lived a long and useful life. We bought a new one tonight, and it will be delivered Tuesday. Robert's trying to convince me that I don't need to do any laundry for six more days. (We'll see when he runs out of socks.)
Holly: The guy at Sears tonight was weird.
Mom: No, he wasn't.
Holly: You don't know who I'm talking about. It was Dad.
I almost died laughing.
* * * *
Holly, Trevor and I watched American Idol. Chris was my favorite male singer, and while there are others that should have gone first, he probably wasn't good enough for the top several spots anyway. I wish Phil would get a tan and stop wearing those hideous hats. Bald is fine, but it doesn't need to be blinding white!* * * *
Conversation with Holly:Holly: The guy at Sears tonight was weird.
Mom: No, he wasn't.
Holly: You don't know who I'm talking about. It was Dad.
I almost died laughing.
3 comments:
appliances...sigh... we bought our washer and dryer when we were first married 21 1/2 years ago and they are still going strong. We've only made minor repairs 2-3 times in all of these years. I keep thinking one of these years they're going to quit working, but in the meantime I keep hoping not... I know they don't make them like they used to... I think it's almost unheard of for things to last 20 years now. I hope you enjoy your new washer! Ours are old and ugly so we keep them hidden away... but hey, they work.
We also had our Maytag washer and dryer for 20 years. The dryer finally went out so we decided to just get a brand new pair and donate the washer to someone. I agree with Cindy . . .they don't make things to last for 20 years anymore.
I also love your mom . . holly conversation! Too funny!
Also, where is your picture of the Santa Fe Chicken????? :-)
Happy new washer! May it have a long and productive reign in your laundry area or room or kitchen or wherever it lives.
LOL at Holly's comment !
Post a Comment