I've read this book before and liked it, enough to remember to check it out again. I like reading parenting books in general, and this is a good one. I didn't finish it and wasn't able to renew it this time around, and I almost bought a copy for myself. But then I remembered. I am a parenting book junkie. There are several good ideas, but it's difficult to apply more than one or two different parenting theories, even if they are similarly themed.
My favorite parenting book is Scott Turansky's Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes . . . In You and Your Kids, followed closely by Kevin Leman's Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours. The Turansky book focuses on teaching children honor, which can be applied across the board in everything you do. Dr. Leman's book teaches "reality discipline," which dovetails nicely with encouraging honor. (Dr. Leman has a many terrific books, and in addition to being knowledgeable and intelligent, he's entertaining to read.)
I'm in no way dismissing the Tripp book. All three emphasize changing "heart" behavior, which I believe it vital--there's really no point in making a child behave just because they should. I want my kids to WANT to be good, to WANT to treat others honorably.
But I need to stick to my tried and true favorites at this point. It's a long and never-ending process, and I've learned a lot, a lot, a lot too.
1 comment:
"Making Children Mind..." has been a favorite of ours for years and years...I agree with you about Dr. Leman's writing style.
I've found it interesting to see a rash of books about parenting a child's heart, but so many of them say "win the heart" and then focus on external behavior...been a bit disappointing to me. LOL
I have the Clarkson book on my nightstand ready to begin soon. LOL
Post a Comment